Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Iron supplements  (Read 2306 times)

Sweetscarlett

Iron supplements
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:39:20 PM »

Hi does  anyone know of over the counter iron supplements that don't cause constipation ?

I've taken ferrous iron tablets from the gp  in the past for anemia but, despite a healthy diet and exercise and loads of fibre they still gave me constipation.  Or failing that any super iron rich foods ?

Any ideas welcomed

❤️❤️Ssx

aspie65

Re: Iron supplements
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »

Have you tried the slow release type?  You may have to ask the pharmacist but they don't require a prescription. 

Sarai

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »

I have used apple flavour Spatone liquid. They didn't make me constipated like every other pill does. They come in a box of 28 sachets the apple is vitamin C to help absorption.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 06:05:25 PM »

Hello Sweetscarlett.

I have just been prescribed iron tablets and I'm afraid to take them because I know what they'll do to my digestive system. It would be great to know of any alternatives so I shall follow this thread with interest.  Well done for asking the question lol.  Perfect timing!

Take care.

K.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »

Kathleen Your ones are stronger I reckon, what about taking magnesium too? That would help with the bowels.  Spatone is kinder on the gentler I think but I'm not sure as strong x

Sweetscarlett

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »

Thanks all for the advice - l' ve just bought the slow release tabs so shall see how they go. If no good I shall try the  Spatone.
Lol Kathleen - glad to help !

Regards
Ssx ❤️❤️❤️

Yammy1

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »

Interesting how many of us are low in iron. I tried  a few different iron tablets but had to stop as they were so bad on my stomach. I have hiatus hernia and really couldn't stick the pain from tablets. I was ok with the spatone but unfortunately it doesn't contain a lot of iron, but I suppose it's better than none. I've been suffering with ectopic heartbeats and general aches and pains the last fe days and I'm wondering if my low iron is causing this