Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Losing Hope - Finding the right HRT  (Read 2944 times)

knorman

Losing Hope - Finding the right HRT
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »

Evening Ladies For those of you on HRT, would you mind me asking how many attempts it took until you found a  combination that worked for you, in that it did not cause side effects?  I am calling the Dr tomorrow as my third attempt is still causing side effect of burning, stinging tongue and lips.  None of the Drs at my surgery have heard of this before. The combinations I've tried have worked brilliantly at getting rid of the night heats, which is making it all the more difficult to think there may not be anything out there for me.  Three attempts to me seems excessive, but if it took any of you took more attempts, I would love to hear from you, as feeling very low and hopeless. 

aspie65

Re: Losing Hope - Finding the right HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »

First time round I got lucky my third type of HRT.  Sadly that stopped being made so recently I've had to start again.  I was really nervous but the oestrogel/utrogestan combination seems to be working okay for me.  Have you tried these?

knorman

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 06:26:40 PM »

Dr has already prescribed Utrogestan as we thought I was progesterone intolerant. However, it is the oestrogen tablet that has caused the problem (third attempt) and I never got as far as taking the Utrogestan. I was going to ask the Dr about  Oestrogel tomorrow. Hoping very much that this may be the combination that works for me as it has for you. Thank you aspie65.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 07:07:11 PM »

knorman, I would try the Oestrogel/Utrogestan combination.  You might find that Oestrogel works better for you and it is very easy to adjust the dose up or down as necessary. 

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 08:58:07 PM »

I got it right with my second one. I started with Evorel sequi but the progestogen didn't agree with me so changed to Estradot and progesterone (then Cyclogest pesssaries). I changed the latter to Utrogestan when that was licensed for HRT but as it's progesterone it is the same really. I added testosterone 2.5 years ago but that is a later development rather than a different type of hRT.

Good luck with the doc - I have answered about your potential allergy on your other thread. You will know with oestrogel (or an oestrogen only patch) whether it is oestrogen itself causing you to be allergic to something else.

Hurdity x

knorman

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 06:52:31 AM »

Thank you Hurdity x

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:34:49 AM »

You might need to persevere fir 3 months as side effects can go away .

knorman

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »

Trouble is Dotty, I'm back where I started before taking HRT as it is very difficult to sleep with the symptoms. I have tried, but it is too intense and I am not someone who gives up easily. Just waiting for a call back from the Dr.  I need to get sorted, my relationship is hanging on by a thread and we are trying to look after my recently bereaved mother, who lives a distance away.  When I started to get grumpy, irritated and impatient with her as well as my OH, I knew it was time to take action with the HRT, having held off for 14 long months. Mind you, 14 months with no sleep is going to make anyone grumpy.  Luckily my mum and other half do understand, but it's not good for maintain relationships!

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »

Hope you get an answer xx

Optimist

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »

Hi Knorman, don't give up. I haven't even though it's been 15 months and still not found the right one. I just don't do well on the progesterones
Supposed to be trialling Mirena next. Not sure what to do if I can't tolerate that but we'll see.
Good luckx

knorman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »

You are very aptly named! Everyone I know away from the forum, my mum included, has taken HRT with no problem at all.  It is really frustrating when it had started working so well.  The familiar misery of no sleep whatsoever is starting to creep back where the night heats are creeping back.  Going to start the gel tomorrow night.  Its very difficult to get our heads round all of this whilst trying to cope with menopause at the same time. Thank goodness for this forum! I really, really hope that your next port of call works for you.

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »

Hello knorman

I am really starting to feel much bettter after the worst year ever and a blip when I had to stop tablets due to migraines.  I am on the oestrogel approximately 4 weeks now.  I have had to go up to 4 pumps the last few days but things are definetly on the up and I was beginning to feel i would never ever get well, truly.  I also had the mirena coil put in last April 2017.  This is my 3rd ciol and I find them brilliant.  Good luck xx

knorman

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »

I wish you could Bring me Sunshine today, it is horrid out there!  Will be applying the gel this evening and hoping that in the morning I will not have the burning, tingling tongue and lips. It does bring me hope and pleasure to hear that after a bad year, things have now picked up for you. x

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »

Your reply made me laugh.  Yes we do need sunshine.  They say we need rain for the flowers to grow but enough is enough.

I truly did not think I would ever get well that is how low i was and had lost confidence and hope in the medical profession i.e gps and the physchiatrist they had me under.  I must have been on every anti depressant known to man when what I needed was oestrogen.  The gp and pyschiatrist both said they have learned a lot whilst I was hanging by a thread. The oestrogen does not kick in for me though until I am on a fairly higher level.  So with the tablets it was 3mg of elleste solo(the progestorone is via the mirena coil).   Nothing with the gel till they put me on 4 pumps, a week ago and I am feeling the benefits.  i was able to book a football match in February for my son and family when not that long ago I could not have done that nor thought there was a future with me in it.  Please dont despair as the hoplessness and low feelings are just because you havent found what will work for you yet.  You will know once you do as you creep back into this crazy life again but want to be a part of it and not watching by the sidelines and waiting....... Good Luck and let us all know how it goes x