Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Provera anyone?  (Read 3132 times)

Bellababe

Provera anyone?
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:46:24 PM »

Hi changed from Femoston to Estrogel and Provera(peri)3 months ago and Estrogel is having positive effect but Provera has only given me one very light sluggish period 3 months in. Feeling bloated with soar tender breasts and I'm paranoid my hair is thinning! Seeing dr this week but as I have to educate her on what's available/recommended I wonder if anyone had experience of changing from Provera to an alternative? Thank you x

Hurdity

Re: Provera anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:10:13 PM »

Hi Bellababe - are you taking Provera for 12 days monthly? If you are late peri-menopause or post-meno then maybe your womb lining is not building up sufficiently to need to be shed monthly? Also the amount of bleeding (and therefore womb-lining thickening) is dependent on oestrogen dose so if you are also on a low or med dose of gel then the same would apply ie not building up enough to shed.

Sorry I can't help in that I've never taken Provera....

However, the only other progestogens available separately are the Mirena coil ( delivers progestogen locally but with some systemic absorption), or utrogestan (progesterone itself) which is supposed to have the least androgenic effect. If taken orally though it can have sedative side effects and sometimes nausea although some of us (on this forum) take it vaginally off licence to minimise this.

The good news is, if you are feeling well on this dose of gel then you could possibly try for a longer cycle in view of your lack of bleed, which would decrease the duration of the Provera. However if you change progestogen type to Utrogestan, for the moment I would keep with the same length cycle ( ie monthly) in case it doesn't thin the lining quite as much as the Provera.

The progestogens available are listed here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Hurdity x

Bellababe

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »

Hi thanks for your reply Hurdity. I am 44yrs and think I've been peri for 2-3 yrs and taken hrt for 1.5 yrs. Had normal bleeding on Femoston just 3 months ago...? Am on 3 pumps of Estrogel and feel good on this amount. I take Provera for 2 weeks. So from what you suggested before, do you think I should take Provera for a shorter time? Thanks for your help! X

Bellababe

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:43:33 PM »

Saw Dr today who said I shouldn't worry that I'm not getting a proper bleed on Provera ( so far) progesterone - as long as I am taking it that was the important bit... is this correct anyone!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »

Your doctor is right Bellababe.
If you get heavy or erratic bleeding that is what may cause concern.
Stick with your HRT regime if you are feeling generally good. No HRT will be perfect but the combo you are using is a good one. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 05:25:15 PM »

As Dancinggirl said...however I thought you were concerned about other symptoms possibly due to the Provera - so if you are not getting much a bleed - that was why I made the suggestion about maybe lengthening your cycle so you don't need to take it quite so often eg every 5 weeks for example instead of 4 and see what sort of bleed you get ( and then discuss with your doc at next appt)?

Hurdity x

Bellababe

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:51 PM »

Thank you for your replies. Hurdity yes I did have other side effects with Provera. Dr didn't know anything about Utrogestan so is looking into it and will come back to me! If she doesn't change me over, you suggested taking it in a 5 week cycle, so does that mean leaving 3 weeks between each 14 days of taking Provera? Appreciate your time very much!

Katia

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »

Bellabee, provera caused my hair to shed and it gave me spots too.  It was too androgenic for me.

Bellababe

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »

Hi Katie that's interesting- what did you change to? Thanks x

Katia

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 12:52:29 PM »

Bellabee, sorry, I've just seen this. Back to the pill. I couldn't find a progestegen in HRT that works for me

Katia

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »

Bellabee I don't do well with just estrogen, but a longer cycle might work for you