Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Menopause to be Discussed Today at 10am on Radio 4.  (Read 4330 times)

dahliagirl

Re: Menopause to be Discussed Today at 10am on Radio 4.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »

Day 2 starting on womans hour and radio Sheffield

dahliagirl

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 10:05:30 AM »

Mental impact being discussed.

dahliagirl

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »

Louise Newson was very good.  Wish I lived near her clinic  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »

Yes I heard you racjen - funnily enough I thought your story sounded familiar - yes you came over really well - good for you! it is shocking about the south-west - no NHS menopause clinics at all and the only one that used to exist cut due to lack of funds just at the time when they should be expanding....

As for today - well I was out - but MY HUSBAND was impressed! Now he is someone who always takes a slightly jokey tone about menopause and my being on this forum or when I tell him why I'm poking some pessary or other somewhere! He doesn't really want to know the details. However he said when I came back - the menopause discussion on woman's hour this morning was really good! He said "there was a GP on there and she explained everything really clearly and all the symptoms" and even compared the symptoms to what a relative of ours is experiencing and said that would explain them....you could have knocked me over when he said that (how good the explanations and discussion were).

Louise Newson does seem to be amazing - anyone who hasn't come across her she has a website and also posts frequently on Twitter (as does MM!) trying to banish all the myths about menopause and HRT, together with mid-life depression and anxiety. https://menopausedoctor.co.uk/ . Must go and have a listen :)

Hurdity x

racjen

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »

I'm so glad they're putting so much energy into discussing the mental health aspects - not to make light of the physical stuff, I know that can also be really extreme and debilitating but I think it is at least better known to be linked with the menopause. I simply cannot believe just how strong a link there is between anxiety particularly, and the menopause, and yet most women who suddenly start experiencing it have no idea it's hormonal. And neither it seems do most GPs. I really think the term anxiety doesn't help - it makes it sound like you're a bit nervous, bit of a worrier, neurotic etc. I'd describe what I feel every morning at the moment as intense fear and dread, a feeling of impending doom. And it can go on for hours. Maybe that would make people understand a bit more...

dahliagirl

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »

Mental Health and Relationships, and our own dear Heather today  :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05rt6jk#play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09lw36j
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:00:33 PM by dahliagirl »

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »

Yes amazing - I heard it online later. Great to hear Heather talking the need to moisturise our vaginas as we do our faces, at 10 in the morning  ::) !! Love it! :)

Hurdity x

dahliagirl

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 08:27:32 PM »

I love hearing her.  Wonderful accent, and words worth listening to  :)

Tomorrow is Menopause and Work.  I met someone last year who had such anxiety issues that she had to give up her well earned career.  She has retrained into something she wants to do and is happier in herself, but on minimum wage so financial problems loom.  When you have worked so long, you hope to be saving for a retirement.  :(

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »

Thursday: Menopause and Work. Should women speak out at work, and what can employers do to support them?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09lw39r

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »

Thanks for the links ladies, keep em coming.

racjen

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 07:01:37 PM »

In all of this hell that is sudden chemo-induced menopause, the one thing I'm really grateful for is that I work in an all-female workplace and no-one bats an eyelid if I talk about menopause, periods etc. My team leader and manager are both incredibly sympathetic and are bending over backwards to give me the support I need (although I'm off work at the moment, no way could I cope with it right now). The one thing I worry about is that I might be seriously scaring the younger members of the workforce, women in their 20s who right now probably have no real idea this is going to happen to them too. But at least when they get to that stage they might have a bit more of a realistic picture of what to expect (as will my daughters, who are now intimately acquainted with the horrors of extreme menopause)  :'(

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »

Friday: Today the focus is on treatments with Dr Daisy Mae, (who contributes to our site: Dr Daisy Blog) a doctor and writer working in the field of Menopause for around 25 years, and CBT expert Professor Myra Hunter Emeritus Professor of Clinical Health Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry at King's College London. As a woman in the public eye Meg Matthews - ex-wife of Noel Gallagher - has been very open about what she's been through and launched her own website to help others. Jo McEwan co-founded a website to bring a bit more colour into what she describes as a "grey" world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09lw3dw

dahliagirl

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »

Enjoyed that and found a new website to look at  :)
Pages: 1 [2]