Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: appointment for 2nd annual mammogram  (Read 5468 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: appointment for 2nd annual mammogram
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 07:11:40 PM »

....... in all honesty, £600 for a day's investigations doesn't seem high at all.  As long as that cost covers everything!

Lady Daviot

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »

I have used this one stop clinic and I would not hesitate again as unfortunately our NHS is under pressure, it is generally over and done in 2-3 hours with outcome and if need by and treatment required then it can be fast tracked through NHS and or private insurance. I totally appreciate it is a lot of money, but what price on health, never mind the anxiety of the wait. In our area the resulting waiting time is around 3 weeks. BMI and Spire mostly do these. You can pay on a credit agreement.

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »

I have used this one stop clinic and I would not hesitate again as unfortunately our NHS is under pressure, it is generally over and done in 2-3 hours with outcome and if need by and treatment required then it can be fast tracked through NHS and or private insurance. I totally appreciate it is a lot of money, but what price on health, never mind the anxiety of the wait. In our area the resulting waiting time is around 3 weeks. BMI and Spire mostly do these. You can pay on a credit agreement.
I wouldn't need a credit agreement. I have the money available but would rather spend it on a holiday. It would be different if I had found a lump or similar.

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »

I hope your latest mammogram result will be ok Hurdity.

Thanks - I'm up to my 5th - well 6th if you count the recall!

And now just looking at the thread title - do you have them annually then Katejo? The NHS only offers them every 3 years in my area, and I thought annually may not be recommended because of the additional X-ray load?

I must admit I can't imagine why anyone would pay £600 for something that is available on NHS - ie a routine investigation even if they had the money  :-\ . So you have to wait 3 weeks (as I am doing).....nothing's going to change in that 3 weeks... if there have been any issues with the breast then you are fast-tracked anyway.  Well - we are free to choose to spend it on what we like!!

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »

I hope your latest mammogram result will be ok Hurdity.

Thanks - I'm up to my 5th - well 6th if you count the recall!

And now just looking at the thread title - do you have them annually then Katejo? The NHS only offers them every 3 years in my area, and I thought annually may not be recommended because of the additional X-ray load?

I must admit I can't imagine why anyone would pay £600 for something that is available on NHS - ie a routine investigation even if they had the money  :-\ . So you have to wait 3 weeks (as I am doing).....nothing's going to change in that 3 weeks... if there have been any issues with the breast then you are fast-tracked anyway.  Well - we are free to choose to spend it on what we like!!

Hurdity x
No Hurdity, only every 3 years. I had my first with the recall in March 2015 and now have my 2nd coming up.

dahliagirl

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »

Here, it is every 34 months. From the last recall day. A subtle but significant clarification - and is why they always take me by surprise.

Katejo

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 02:18:13 PM »

Here, it is every 34 months. From the last recall day. A subtle but significant clarification - and is why they always take me by surprise.
My new appt. is 35 months after the previous recall. Glad they are doing it slightly earlier just to get it out of the way (and not have it around my  birthday).

Katejo

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »

Heavens - don't even think about private screening!!

BOOK YOUR HOLIDAY!!!  :) ... and then look forward to it!

A small proportion of all routine tests will have unfavourable results but no need to put your life on hold - please stop worrying and just do it! All that is necessary if something crops up between when you book it and your holiday is to notify your insurance company just before you go, and then they will if necessary add a small premium. Breast investigations are very unlikely to cause problems abroad which will entail costs to them - compared to heart and luing conditions etc.

I have annual travel insurance with my bank account anyway so would just notify them if there was something I had to declare before I went on holiday (or if it eas present at the time of booking - would need to ask them how much extra if anything, beforehand. Don't forget your insurance covers you from the time of booking for the situation you are in now ie presumably healthy and with whatever declared conditions you may have....

Hurdity x

PS I also had a recall for one of mine, and have just had my latest mammogram this week.....
I hope the result of your January one was clear? How long did you wait for the result? Mine is on Thursday.

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:06 PM »

Thanks for remembering Katejo - my results arrived through the letterbox, 8 days after the scan and yes thankfully all clear despite the breast pain which worried me. I think it depends where you are as to how long it takes? Mine is in one of those mobile units that sits in a supermarket car park in a small market town in a rural area of England, so I guess they have a team somewhere dedicated to working on them continuously? Not sure how it works elsewhere?

Good luck on Thursday - hope yours goes well and the outcome is clear too!

Hurdity xx

Katejo

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 09:28:48 PM »

Thanks for remembering Katejo - my results arrived through the letterbox, 8 days after the scan and yes thankfully all clear despite the breast pain which worried me. I think it depends where you are as to how long it takes? Mine is in one of those mobile units that sits in a supermarket car park in a small market town in a rural area of England, so I guess they have a team somewhere dedicated to working on them continuously? Not sure how it works elsewhere?

Good luck on Thursday - hope yours goes well and the outcome is clear too!

Hurdity xx
Glad to hear that Hurdity. I haven't been to one of the mobile units. Both last time and this time my appt. has been at Whipps Cross hospital (London E17). My further referral last time was to Barts hospital. Then i got the letter after 6 days so part of me wants the wait to be longer than that this time! I will assume the worst if it arrives in under a week.
I have now had it done and was told that the wait would be 3 weeks. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:15:33 PM by Katejo »
Pages: 1 [2]