Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Back pain etc.  (Read 3401 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Back pain etc.
« on: October 13, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »

from The Daily Telegraph - 4 September 2017 - Dr James Le Fanu [[email protected]]

"A woman with severe stabbing sciatica pains that promptly returned following a major spinal decompression operation, intended to relieve them.  Her physiotherapist inserted a single needle into the pririformis muscle in the buttock - which straddles the sciatica nerve - this, unlike the operation, did the trick ........... "

Might be worth while asking for more details should one be suffering long-term sciatica!

ellie

Re: Back pain etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »

That's interesting!  After two failed major back surgeries I will definitely have a look. 👍🏻

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 02:51:54 PM »

I posted it for specifically  ;)

LizzyD

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:41:51 AM »

Hi Ellie,

I've never had surgery for back pain but have suffered for years with varying degrees of pain in my lower back and sciatica.

Last year after getting increasingly more uncomfortable and less mobile, and developing nerve pain that seemed to be around and coming from my hip as well i saw a chiropractor and physio......I already knew I have degenerative disc disease, and the chiropractors X-rays also showed a spondylisthesis in my lower spine.  The chiropractor helped no end. On his recommendation I went to a physio - who told me that the pain in my hip was actually nothing to do with my (admittedly not major) spine problems.....but was radiating pain from a trapped nerve in my pireformis muscle.  I had sessions of dry needling and heat therapy from him to release the muscle. I also had one  session with the Biokineticist who worked with him, and who did give me some really good excercises to strengthen my back and legs
But the one excercise that the physio told me to do frequently to release the tension  in my pirformis was...

Sit and put outside edge of my right foot on left  knee.  Bend forward from the hips.
Then swap legs.  That simple!

You can also do this lying on your back, with knees raised, then put outside of one foot on other knee and use your arms to wrap around the supporting knee and pull it towards your chest)

You might well know all of this - I apologise if I'm telling you something obvious to someone with back problems! But honestly I've been (apart from minor discomfort on occasional nights) sciatica free for 5 months.  After honestly not having a night when I wasn't uncomfortable or in pain for years, and assuming it all came from my spine.
I've read and tried all sorts of stretches and excercises over the years and it obviously makes a difference and some help more than others.  But just doing that once or twice a day or when I feel that “itch” deep inside my thigh starting, has been a complete game changer for me. 

Maybe it'll help!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »

This is all very interesting. I have degeneration of L3&L4 but I had to find this out by paying to see a rheumatologist who did the relevant  X-rays and MRI scan. He gave me an injection in the bulging disk that really helped and now I know what the problem is I can manage it better. The GP just wanted me to take amitriptyline - which I tried but gave horrid side effects. I find walking is my best help and I try to keep my core muscles exercised regularly. I will try that stretch Ellie - makes sense to me. The nerve pain in hips and down the legs is so awful.
Sitting is my worst enemy - I have to just moving. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »

Tnx for the info LizzyD!

ellie

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »

Lizzy sorry for the late reply, only just seen  it........It certainly does make a lot of sense..
I wish I could try the knee excersise, but I had a knee replacement several years ago and that knee has never been right and won't bend properly, and the other knee has chronic arthritis.
 The space they made during my last back surgery to allow the nerves to pass through, has now collapsed again. It was suggested at first putting a cage around those nerves, but then they decided it was too dangerous.  Nerve block injections haven't helped, so apart from a morphine pump being inserted ( I don't want that) I am stuck.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:04:41 PM »

ellie - I think of you often!

ellie

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »

Thank you CKLD  :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »

Wish I could have advice to ease your pain ...........  :'(

JaneinPen

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:55:50 AM »

Just seen your post LizzyD. Thanks for exercise advice. I will certainly add it to my morning exercise  regime as it does sound like a good way of stretching the area and one that I will hopefully benefit from when I am away and no exercise ball to do lower back exercises on

LizzyD

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »

Hi All,
I'd not logged on for a few days.....

Ellie, I'm so sorry for your troubles. That all sounds very debilitating and limiting. I'm so sorry. As CLKD says, I so hope there is something that gives you relief.

When I saw the post I just thought I'd share.... just out of interest, the physio showed me a way to do the stretch standing, by tucking one leg behind and around the other (kind of so you end up with your feet next to each other but with the outsides of your foot next to each other, not the insides..but I just can't seem to coordinate my legs and brain to get a proper stretch that way!!! 😳.

I just thought it really interesting that both the physio and Biokineticist said how often that little, hidden away muscle causes so much trouble!  In my case it had got tight and sore from misuse from me “guarding” my back when it hurt.

X

JaneinPen

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »

LizzyD you just reminded me that some time ago my physio gave me a similar exercise to what you are talking about and I had to stand away from a wall with my hand on it and lean in which stretches the muscles. Not needing to do it for a while made me forget it so thanks for the unintentional reminder 😀

Shadyglade

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »

Interesting article in the Saturday Times about exercises for gluteus muscles. Apparently they can cause a lot back trouble, as we get older, if not exercised. If you feel stiffness after sitting you need to do some gluteus muscles exercises.