Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Winter Blues  (Read 2227 times)

Spangles

Winter Blues
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »

Hi,

I'm really struggling with low mood and anxiety at the moment. I know wing affects me but this year it is really bad, I'm struggling to focus on anything else!
Do any of you suffer more at this time of the year?
If so what do you do to 'feel good'?
I'm even struggling to focus on my reading book.

Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Mindfulmoomins

Re: Winter Blues
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »

Hi Shellb,

Yes I do too. It's been grey for a few days and I find it really affects me not being able to see the sky. I am not sure what the point of January and February is!

I don't know if this will help or not but I do a few things to try and take care of myself in these months. You are not alone.

I have a Lumie lightbox (which I forget to use regularly), I eat lots of vegetables and some dark chocolate and try not to eat much refined sugar, we have lots of candles on in the evening and a log burner, I try and give myself permission to feel low and acknowledge that lots of people are feeling the same, I get out in nature and sit by windows when possible and I try and do cardio and a bit of jogging.

It's hard but I try and be very gentle with myself and take a cue from nature. At this time of year in nature it looks like nothing is happening but there is growth and strength happening underground and the days are getting longer.

Sending you big hugs from someone who is also finding things hard xxx

Spangles

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »

Thank you for your lovely reply Moomins.

It doesn't help that I work full time and don't sleep well! Appetite is low and I'm only tiny so any weight loss isn't good for me.

I do get outside a fair bit and it's mostly good, providing it's not raining!
I'm a very keen gardener and I'm full of frustration at this time of the year because I know I'd do more harm that good doing work on my borders, as it is far to wet!

I used to eat lots and lots of chocolate all the time, I'd even class myself as a chocoholic! However over the last 3-4 months I've not been fancying it, this has contributed to a little weight loss. I definitely need to get back on it😀.
Today I switched to honey.

I know you said you forget to use your lumie, but how do you find it when you do use it?
It is something I've looked at.

Obviously turbulent hormones make it all worse.

I hope you feel well soon.
Huggs
Shellb
xXx

Mindfulmoomins

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »

Hello again, yes turbulent hormones don't help at all do they.

When I use it I look at my iPad sitting up on my bad and have it in between my knees. I think you have to get it at the right angle so the light hits the back of your eye or something!

I am going to check with the Gp that it's ok to use it with the antidepressants I am on. I was just thinking this morning I can't believe I am on three medications at the moment. It doesn't make me feel good about myself. Then I try and remember its's only for now while we get the HRT sorted.

This is such a challenging time in our lives. Take good care of you and as my meditation teacher used to say, go gently.

Xx

Mindfulmoomins

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »

Ps I love gardening too an totally understand how hard it is to leave it all alone at this time of year! X

knorman

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »

Hello Shellb, I think this time of year is difficult for us gardeners at the best of times. I don't feel as if my year has begun until I am out in my little greenhouse, with soil under my fingernails, propagating seeds. I've had to leave full-time work as well, due to CFS/ME, so it's really hard being home at this time of year. I try and keep myself as busy as my body allows, doing all those little clearing up/out jobs that need doing around the house, so it leaves the Spring free for me to play outside and it makes me feel more useful, but I always remember that winter is also a time to rest and repair. I love Mindfulmoomins reply. Have you seen that the Moomins are making a big comeback right now?! Istill remember the books so vividly.Keep thinking of those first signs of Spring Shellb and it will be here before we know it. Take care x

Daisydot

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »

It was still light 45 mins later than usual ladies so there's hope on the horizon lol won't be long till that darkness lifts again and we get our spring weather.xx

knorman

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »

I tick the minutes off every day!

Spangles

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »

Just the word Spring lifts me, I suppose I'm just impatient!
Wish we could hibernate over winter, how nice would that be...

wombat62

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 11:04:26 PM »

I do feel for you! I hate winter and always have done since I was a small child!

I moved overseas but we still get some dull winters and the house never seem to warm up (unless heating system!) so I still get SAD but it's not quite as bad as the days are a little longer. However, since losing weight I'm suffering again with Raynards which makes me really grumpy!

Some people thrive on winter and hate summer, don't understand it myself lol... Get Jan out of the way and at least the days start getting a bit longer!

Take care..

Spangles

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »

I've started a healthy eating regime, I don't know how long it will last but I'm going to try.
I have found that my diet does affect my mood, unfortunately I do love junk food!
Let's hope it makes me feel a little better.
xXx

knorman

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »

Just doing something to help ourselves makes us feel better, like we have some control! It is certainly NOT gardening weather today! x

Mindfulmoomins

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »

That's so true Knorman, doing something for ourselves can help.

Yes Moomins do seem to be making a come back. I think they should do a story where Moomin mama is menopausal......

knorman

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 09:12:51 AM »

Thank you for making me laugh this morning! x

Spangles

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »

:thankyou: