Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 10mm thickness of womb lining  (Read 42346 times)

Lynne888

Re: 10mm thickness of womb lining
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »

GP obviously thinks this thickening of the lining is caused by Vagifem.  I've spoken to her today and she said not to take it until we have the results :( 

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »

I don't think that means she thinks the Vagifem has caused it but that Vagifem is not recommended if you have a thickened womb lining until the reason is known. This is from an Australian Vagifem site but the info is probably also on the Vagifem leaflet

"When you must not use it
Do not use Vagifem®
 if:
• you have or suspect you have, or
have had breast cancer 
• you have abnormal vaginal bleeding
• you have a condition called
endometrial hyperplasia (excessive
growth of the lining of the womb"

Taz x

Lynne888

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »

Thank you again taz! The gyno said to carry on using it! Anyway I won't until I know what's happening. Of course, today, having read stuff on the net,  I have myself dead and buried!

GrumpyLisa

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »

Hi everyone. I had been period free for 6 months and peri menopausal however Dec-jan 2018 I had a heavy bleed for 32 days. I've had an ultrasound and hysteroscopy this week and the lining of the womb is 14.7mm which is obviously a big worry. I've got an emergency referral to gynae for a biopsy but have to wait 2 weeks. No systs, polyps or mass to worry about. QUESTION. how worried should I be?

Mary G

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 07:05:14 PM »

Lisa, are you taking any HRT either now or recently?  This would make a difference.  From what I have read, the womb lining can build up during the menopause with or without HRT so it is a common problem, it comes up on here all the time.  Sometimes women produce oestrogen but stop producing enough progesterone so that can cause build up problems.  Another thing to bear in mind is that everyone's base level is different.  A former member who I keep in touch with can never get below 6mm even post bleed but her gynaecologist is not worried because she doesn't have any dark patches.

I know it's easy to say but don't worry, they will probably prescribe a strong dose of progesterone to shift it.  It's better to get it checked out and get back on the right track.

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »

Hi GrumpyLisa

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your bleed and thickened womb lining. I can't be reassuring, because it is important to investigate prolonged or abnormal bleeding.

However if you are still peri-menopausal - which you are - as your previous period was 6 months previously - then the lining thickens and thins as part of the cycle. During peri-menopause if your cycles are anovulatory the womb lining can build up without shedding so that when you do ovulate - bleeding can very heavy. Bleeding and a thickened lining would be more of a worry if you were post-menopausal and not taking HRT. Many women have experienced prolonged bleeding while peri-menopausal.

As Mary G says, once you have been investigated, you may well be prescribed a progestogen which will help to shed and thin the lining. If you have other symptoms ( like flushes and sweats) you might like to consider HRT or perhaps have a Mirena coil inserted which can also be used for contraception and then oestrogen added for menopausal symptoms.

Let us know how you get on but in the meantime there is information on this website about heavy bleeding https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php and here is an article about peri-menopause which mentions anovulatory cycles: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Oh - and you might like to introduce yourself in the new members section so that more members can welcome you :)

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]