Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: pools of bile in stomach  (Read 4757 times)

losttheplot

pools of bile in stomach
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »

Hi ladies, i had an endoscopy yesterday to see why I am getting so much indigestion & GORD symtoms . The results found a large amount of bile in the stomach and mild non-erosive gastritis. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago, so i am assuming that has caused a problem. Hospital suggest i may benefit from a motility agent. The nurse that was discharging me after my endoscopy explained that it is something to make food pass through the stomach quicker. Has anyone had experience of this?
I can not take ranitdine, omprazole and pantoprazole due to allergies.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: pools of bile in stomach
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »

Yep.  My GP initially prescribed (1991) Colpermin peppermint capsules and Motillium.  The former eases upper gut wind and the other moves foods through the gut faster.  I don't know if it's prescribed anymore though.

After 5 years of the above: each had to be swallowed within an hour of eating my main meals and my poo smelled of peppermint  :-X, I altered to Actimel - 3/4 pots daily.  That worked well too.  I know that personally it worked because when on holiday away from a fridge so I didn't drink any, my bowel slowed down again.

Did the Nurse suggest asking your GP for anything specific?  Those products that you mention are OK for short-term use but not for years and years as they can make the gut lazy and cause other problems.

Honey is a good healer too ;-)

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »

Maybe try switching to kefir milk it's very good for the gut,you can buy in the polish food section in Asda it's a large green and white bottle £1-39 half a glass in morning,before breakfast is best time to take it,it's like a drinkable yoghurt much more friendly bacteria for the gut than any probiotic and so many health benefits,you can also make it at home in the airing cupboard if your brave enough,I did and mines was Like stinky old socks lol.you can make with goats milk cows milk coconut water etc once you buy the grains. Do some research on it and you'll see the health benefits,i makemines into a smoothie with bananas or any other fruit you can stomach it's much more palatable.good luck ladies xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »

Daisydot, I am a big fan of kefir now since you put me onto it. It is good to have when you are on antibiotics, and it gradually sorted out my loose bowel problems that I developed on two courses of ABs. Am on yet more ABs now and no problems in that area so far. Brilliant stuff, and I find it quite palatable drunk neat. Big thanks to you! :tulips2: JPx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 04:26:57 PM »

Joanie - do you really require ABs  :-\ .............

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »

Fantastic news Joanne pat I'm so pleased for you and your very robust taking it neat haha I'm a coward with everything so I fancy it up lol.if you are taking antibiotics for Utis there are alternatives,as CLKD is pointing out do you really need them as they are killing off your natural gut flora,i was the same a couple of years ago and they nearly killed me with adverse reaction,I'd had so many so I defied my docs and looked for alternatives to antibiotics and it's probably been around ten months since I've needed any antibiotics as against every few weeks previously they are just not working for certain people now.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »

Does any one remember blotting paper, sounds like that's what is required losttheplot  ;) ........ so that the gut can 'start' again?

losttheplot

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 07:59:46 PM »

thanks for your replies everyone. I thought i was going to be told i had a hernia, i was surprised and a bit alarmed when the report said there are large pools of bile in my stomach  :( I am a bit of a worry wort, especially as since the meno I am prone to reactions to medication. TBH the last thing i want is to be prescribed anything. I will look into Kefir milk thank you Daisydot.
CLKD my 'movements' are regular but i have known there was something wrong with my gut (won't go into gory details  ;D) but i will do a google search about colpermin and motillium. I often feel 'bilious' and now i know why.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »

Are these large pools within normal limits for 90% of the public or weren't you told  ::)

losttheplot

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »

Are these large pools within normal limits for 90% of the public or weren't you told  ::)
no....and i haven't spoken to my gp yet, so thank you for telling me  :) I want to go armed with information and ask sensible questions - he is a lovely dr, but gp's do love 'prescribing' don't they...

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 08:28:39 PM »

Sometimes ........ if they think it will get the patient out of the Surgery quickly.  Maybe ring to see if the Practice has received a copy of the endoscopy B4 making the appt. which I would try to make a double one.  Take a list of queries too?

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »

Hi losttheplot - it does seem that bile pools in the stomach can be one of the side effects of having your gall bladder removed. I've found this info - a bit wordy but does seem to explain it. You can have bile reflux the same as you can have acid reflux apparently https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bile-reflux/symptoms-causes/syc-20370115

Taz x

losttheplot

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »

Hi losttheplot - it does seem that bile pools in the stomach can be one of the side effects of having your gall bladder removed. I've found this info - a bit wordy but does seem to explain it. You can have bile reflux the same as you can have acid reflux apparently https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bile-reflux/symptoms-causes/syc-20370115

Taz x

Thank you Taz. They don't tell you that before having your gallbladder removed!, but then gallstones were a real pain so i was glad to get rid of my gallbladder  :)

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 08:14:04 PM »

Better out than in I would think once it starts playing up!

Taz  :)