Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil not controlling hormones  (Read 3706 times)

elsie001

Mirena Coil not controlling hormones
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:43:52 PM »

I had the mirena fitted 2.5 years ago and have been really pleased with it. 

However, I had a period on 18th December which lasted a week and then another one on 7th Jan which also lasted a week.

I can cope with the bleeds but not so much with the pms-type symptoms - insomnia, feeling wired and anxious, sore nipples, stretchy discharge.

GP did a womb biopsy and checked coil was still in place, which it was.  Should get the biopsy results in approx 3 weeks.

Would be grateful for any advice?

dahliagirl

Re: Mirena Coil not controlling hormones
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »

I am not an expert, but having read the mirena webpages, and looking at their stats, I think that only about 60% of women actually stop having periods over 2 mirenas when it is used as a contraceptive at normal reproductive ages, although most of the others will have much reduced bleeding.

The amount of hormone given out gradually reduces,  but usually it is longer than 2 years before proper bleeds return.  Hope your results come back good.  Maybe there is something wrong with this mirena?

elsie001

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

Thanks dahlia girl, I've decided to have the mirena removed but have no idea what to do instead.  I'm 52 & have been peri for what seems like forever!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »

elsie001 - I really wouldn't have the Mirena removed just because you have had a couple of periods with PMS etc. - I think your symptoms are more menopause related than anything else - you are getting fluctuations in your hormones - so the Mirena on it's own is not enough.  You could simply try having some low dose Oestrogen as gel or patch alongside to see if that improves things. A bit of oestrogen may help balance things.  The Mirena with separate oestrogen is a good combination for hormone replacement - if you have any other type of HRT you may find the progesterone will cause more side effects than the Mirena. DG x

elsie001

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »

Thanks DG, I have tried the gel a couple of times but that just made my symptoms even worse. I'm actually wondering if I need extra progesterone?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »

I doubt very much whether more progesterone would be beneficial. The oestrogen dominance theory is a red herring. The peri meno stage is difficult for many women as it is characterised by the fluctuations is mood, erratic bleeding and changes in vaginal flora. It might be worth having a blood test to check your FHS and oestrogen levels.
The Mirena might have run out of progesterone but that must be unusual. It's usually progesterone that cause pmt type symptoms.
When you tried the gel, did you use it daily for at least 8-12 weeks? DG x

elsie001

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 01:31:31 PM »

I gave up after a week DG.  Felt great to begin with but then the anxiety/insomnia escalated as the days went on.  Stopped using it and felt much better immediately.  I had my hormone levels checked about a month later and oestrogen levels were normal.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »

The peri stage is tricky. Pmt tends to ratchet up when the peri meno stage starts. The Mirena won't be blame I'm afraid unless you found the pmt started soon after the Mirena was fitted.
Adding oestrogen in the early peri stage can take time to settle - your own oestrogen levels will fluctuate considerably - so sometimes normal and then a big dip for a time - makes everything very difficult mood wise. DG x

elsie001

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »

Thanks DG.  Looking on the bright side - I was using Vagifem for VA but since periods re-started, no VA symptoms!

Will be seeing my GP this afternoon, so will discuss it with her.