Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Ovestin cream has anyone been advised to have a break  (Read 1882 times)

flutterby

Ovestin cream has anyone been advised to have a break
« on: January 08, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »

Just received a phone call from a male receptionist at my GP practice saying that the doctor (also male) that was processing my prescription wants me to have a review and thinks I should have a break. I have been using it for just over 14 months when I came off HRT at 64yrs old. I actually use it about 3 times a fortnight and have not had any problems. It seems totally crazy to me that I have a break my VA gets so bad that I have to use far more to get me on track. I thought I was going to be using this for the rest of my life. The receptionist could tell I wasn't happy as he said he would speak to my own GP (female) when she gets back in tomorrow. I'm having enough trouble sleeping with night sweats if I have to contend with bladder problems then I'll be a wreck.

Maryjane

Re: Ovestin cream has anyone been advised to have a break
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:50:49 PM »

He's talking nonsense 🙄 my gynae has 90 year olds in it , who have been on it 30 odd years , VA doesn't get better only worse and taking you off of it is madness BTW you can buy it from an on line GP thing, but I would create havoc TBH.

flutterby

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »

Thank you so much Mary Jane. I'm waiting for the receptionist to speak to my own GP tomorrow. I won't be beaten down over this but I'm incensed that some women would have just accepted it and then suffer. I've saved a PDF of Dr Currys advice which mentions long term use to thrust at them. It's good to know that you can get it on line through a GP. If I was to come off it it would cost the NHS a lot more money in antibiotic prescriptions for cystitis etc

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:25:04 PM »

I echo what Maryjane says and suggest you quote the NICE guidelines to them if you are given any more nonsense. These state that the GP should warn the patient that cessation of treatment for VA will probably lead to the return of symptoms, which is the complete opposite of what this bloke is doing. He may have got his information from the BNF,  which is out of date in this respect.
JP x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »

THe NICE guidelines clearly state that GPs should tell patients that symptoms will return if local oestrogen is stopped - therefore ongoing treatment is advisable.
There is noreasin to stop local oestrogen. DG x

flutterby

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:32:43 PM »

Thanks ladies for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be putting the NICE guidelines on my mobile and shoving them under his nose Flutterbyx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:47 PM »

That's the stuff - good on you and good luck! :)

Hurdity x

flutterby

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »

No phone call from practice so just phoned to see what was happening and was told my prescription was with the pharmacy. Of course I couldn't leave it at that and said that I hoped that there wouldn't be a similar problem next time. No I was told, if there was to be anything it would be a standard note on my prescription for a review but the prescription wouldn't be stopped that I can cope with. However I think that was just so they didn't have to admit the doctor was wrong.
Thanks again for your support Flutterbyx

Cazikins

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:11 PM »

Hi flutterby,
Glad you got it sorted. Sounds like it could be an admin error or a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line. Maybe your own doctor wasn't on duty when your script needed to be signed so this other doctor was just being a bit cautious?  :-\
Cazikins x

flutterby

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »

Hi Cazikins
You are right my own GP wasn't there. It was a senior partner that decided i needed a break, luckily my GP was clued up. In the end I think I was more annoyed for his patients who may suffer because he wasn't up to date on this, according my friend he is not the most approachable person. I must admit that the product information that comes with the cream is the same as HRT patches or tablets so that isn't helpful. Flutterbyx