Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT for 26 years and bleeding now stopped  (Read 1486 times)

Calpalsmummy

HRT for 26 years and bleeding now stopped
« on: January 03, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »

Hi there, apologies for the lengthy post, but will try to give as much info on my query as possible. At 19 years old having never had a period I was given an oopherectomy to remove my streak ovaries. Put onto HRT straight away and all was well. Stopped treatment to have IVF treatment using donor eggs, and blessed as worked 1st time and now have a 10 year old son. Have been on only a couple of different HRT tablets since then and not usually had any issues. However about 2 years ago I was changed from Climagest to Elleste Duet 1mg as Climagest not made any more and for the last 6 months I've not had a withdrawal bleed and have been having some headaches and night sweats which I'm now wondering if I'm going into menopause? I'm 47 and thought that as long as I'm taking the exact same HRT every day that my hormone level shouldn't drop so would continue to bleed? Have spoken to doc about 3 months ago and wasn't impressed with her lack of advice. Have another appointment for next Tuesday to see what I can find out, but was hoping any of you ladies had experienced anything similar at all? Thanks for reading this xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT for 26 years and bleeding now stopped
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »

:welcomemm: I'm sure that someone will be along with advice.  Have you looked at the Daisy web-site for 'premature' menopause?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM calpalsmummy

If you had your ovaries removed, you have been post menopausal since then. HRT will have replaced thechormones you should have had if you had ovaries.
It sounds as though the different HRT isn't suiting you so well,  so you need to try something different. I assume Climagest was a sequential HRT, so gives a monthly bleed, and you have now been given the Elleste conti? Taking any conti HRT will be a non bleed HRT regime but using progesterone all the time can give more side effects.
Why not try Femoston 1/10 sequential HRT pills? It has a kinder progesterone and will give you the monthly bleeds.
If you want a non bleed regime  with minimal hassle, then consider a Mirena with seperate oestrogen as pills, patch or gel.   DG x

Peaceluvva

• Knowledge is power
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:37:04 AM »

Hi Calpalsmummy

You didn't say whether you were on Climagest 1 or 2mg?

Also, are you now on Elleste Conti instead of Elleste Duet?  This would explain the no bleed...

I think that Oestrogen deficiency causes sweats and Progesterone issues cause headaches.

If you were on Climagest 2mg then this would explain the night sweats as your Oestrogen dose has been halved.  You may need to go back up to a 2mg tablet to stop those sweats.  If you were on the 1mg Climagest, and you are now having night sweats, perhaps your body has changed a bit and you now need 2mg anyway. 

You could ask your GP to try you on Femoston 1/10 or 2/10 (depending on whether you were on Climagest 1 or 2mg).  If you go on 1/10 and it still doesn't stop sweats, you can step up to 2/10.

Best of luck,

Peaceluvva