Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Non-androgenic HRT?  (Read 2359 times)

freya

Non-androgenic HRT?
« on: January 09, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm 54, and post-menopausal. Since coming off the pill (Microgynon) and going through the menopause (last period in August 2012), I've been experiencing increasing hair loss. I used to have very thick hair, and have lost a great deal of volume, my parting (which never showed) is very clear, and the hair at my temples, particularly, is thinning - there are patches on one side with no hair at all. I've tried to live with it, but it isn't easy, and I wondered whether HRT would help? I know there are androgenic forms of HRT which cause hair loss, so I'd want to avoid them, but I don't know what they are - could anyone tell me? Also, has anyone found that using HRT has helped slow/improve hair loss and, if so, which kind?

Many thanks,

Freya

Hurdity

Re: Non-androgenic HRT?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »

Hi Freya

First I would suggest having thyroid function test - depending whether you have any other symptoms of underactive thyroid (notably weight gain, fatigue, feeling cold amongst others)?

Otherwise you should use one of the less androgenic progestogens ie progesterone itself or dydrogesterone. They are listed here:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Progestogens which can be used cyclically are of 3 main types:

Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
    Less testosterone related - Medroxyprogesterone acetate(MPA).
    Least testosterone related - Dydrogesterone and Micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

Not sure about the more modern ones like drospirenone. Some women say they have noticed hair loss even on utrogestan but it could just be the overall decline in oestrogen causing this with ageing and gradual decline in thyroid function maybe? Paradoxically though testosterone is also responsible for thickening hair but I don't fully understand this ( I did try to read about it...).

I use Estradot patches with utrogestan ( progesterone) on a long cycle, with a blob of testosterone daily and my hair is OK (bit dry now though!) but I always had a thick head of hair. I have definitely lost some hair, and it still falls out despite the HRT, but maybe I would have lost more had I not been taking it? I would recommend something like this but depends whether you are prepared for a bleed or not?

Sorry that probably isn't much help! Hopefully someone else will be along to comment - I know there have been members with hair issues especially.

Hurdity x

freya

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:11:13 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

thanks so much for this, it's a great help. I've had a thyroid test and it came back fine, although I do suffer from fatigue, feeling cold etc - I have ME and Fibromyalgia. I'll look into the information you've suggested, thanks - as I'm post-menopausal it'd be  continuous  HRT, I think (?) - would this mean a bleed?

Thanks again,

Freya x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »

Do ask for the actual thyroid readings - what was measured? If just TSH, from your symptoms and the fact you have ME/fibromyalgia I would push for testing of T3 and T4 as well (maybe even antibodies to check for Hashimoto's). Also sometimes women get symptoms of underactive thyroid even though outside the treatable range. It's not just an easy cut-off point ie at one level you're OK and then once you're outside the range you're not. Underactive thyroid is one of the causes of fibromyalgia as well as low oestrogen and testosterone ( and others such as post-viral fatigue syndrome etc).

If you took continuous combined HRT which is normal for post-menopause you would not get a bleed once it has settled although it is normal to get spotting or bleeding erratically for up to 6 months on starting a regime like this. Really it is best to start on a sequential HRT and have a withdrawal bleed every month - this will enable you to work out whether the progestogen part ( second two weeks) agrees with you or not and if not to switch product before choosing to try it continuously.

I am sure you would benefit from some form of hormonal treatment! I think you may need more testing first though ( re thyroid) but nothing to stop you starting HRT though...

Hurdity x

freya

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »

Thanks for this, Hurdity, it's a real help. I did get the thyroid readings, including T3 and T4, but I've also read about sub-clinical hypothyroidism, which isn't taken into account and, as you say, can go under the radar.

I think I'll probably talk to my GP about it, and about HRT - it may be trial and error, but if something might help then I'd like to look into it.

Thanks again,

Freya xx