Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Understanding GP  (Read 2313 times)

jenjog

Understanding GP
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »

My GP is very good and extremely easy to talk to, so going to him for help re Menopause was easy. I'd had blood tests that were pretty much inconclusive but he agreed as I'm experiencing symptoms of Menopause, a small Hrt dose may be a good idea. He didn't seem to really say much about peri, I still have a reasonably regular cycle although it's changed over past couple of years. He seemed to lump it together as Menopause. I'm confused, isn't peri when you have symptoms but still have periods?

Dancinggirl

Re: Understanding GP
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
Menopause includes the peri stage and a woman is still peri meno until she has had at least one year without a bleed if 54 or older. If periods stop before the age of 54, the peri stage can extend to up to 2 years beyond last period before a woman is deemed post meno. Some women, in the peri stage, get many months without a period and then the periods return for a few months. The peri stage is about Hormones fluctuating - periods become erratic, flushes come and go, mood swings etc
It's good that your GP is diagnosing based on your symptoms - a low dose of HRT can help to balance things through the tricky peri stage that can last quite a few years. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »

Hang on to him!  Don't let anyone know where he has his Surgery or he will be over-whelmed  ;D

jenjog

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 06:34:07 PM »

Yes he's great, I tell him he can never retire lol. I've got to say it's reassuring to know that I've got a good GP. Before I moved here 15 years ago I had a terrible GP that more or less wrote a prescription before you sat down! I'm glad I found this forum though as there are some really helpful topics. I must admit I stealthily lurked at first before I first posted.

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 06:52:41 PM »

Yep I'd definitely hound him  ;D x