Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estradot  (Read 17094 times)

Jachug

Estradot
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:32:26 PM »

Started Estradot patch (smallest dose x 2/week)! Immediate relief of hot flushes and anxiety settled really quickly. Had 3 month review then started having black dots in front of eyes! Seen at eye hospital and diagnosed with posterior vitreous detachment (old age)! Blood pressure was high and I thought that was causing the visual disturbance! Remained higher than normal but then I started with headache and for the past 3 days my BP has been 170/100! I removed my patch today and plan to see my amazing GP (who you can't get an appointment for   love nor money)! I'm gutted as absolutely loved Estradot! Have had a migraine too! Wondering what my option will be now? I still have Mirena IUS.

Hurdity

Re: Estradot
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »

Hi Jachug

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your eye problems. I'm not sure why you have removed your patch though? When you say lowest dose do you mean 25 mcg? This is very low and your BP and other problems are unlikely to be due to the patch I would say. You haven't said how old you are nor where in menopause although you mention old age. However the fact you have a Mirena (before starting the patch) means you must still be needing contraception so not at old age yet! When did you last have the Mirena changed? Also did you have your BP checked before starting HRT and have you had BP problems before? There are many ways of reducing BP naturally (I presume you have a home monitor) and having high BP is not a contra-indication to HRT although it should be controlled. Important that your eye problems and possible causes of BP are investigated and treated though. Transdermal oestrogen is the best and most natural way to replace this hormone so you are already using the best system. If you are post-menopausal or nearly so you might like to have the Mirena removed and use progesterone instead ( Utrogestan) although it can have a sedative effect if used continuously. Some of us still maintain a cycle (with withdrawal bleed) into our 60's because of not wanting to have progestogens continuously.

Here is what it says on this website about hypertension and HRT:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossH

Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.
Sage should be used with caution if hypertensive and St.John's Wort should be used with caution if taking antihypertensive therapy

Hurdity x

Jachug

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »

Thank you for reply.
I'm 52 and had Mirena for contraception. At last change 4 years ago was told could keep it in as long as it was working. As I still had Mirena, GP suggested Estradot and change my IUS in March (5 years up). BP was fine at 3 month review of starting Estradot and then shot up. I'm struggling to get appointment with GP who prescribed it and couldn't stand the headaches any more and was worried about BP being so high. I forgot to say that the nurse at surgery checked it Thursday and told me to stop patches as I could have a stroke. I wasn't happy as 1. she used a machine, (said didn't have manual sphygmomanometer) and 2. said I'm documenting you are going against medical advice when I said I would leave patch on until seen GP. My GP is amazing but really difficult to get an appointment with. I'm generally fit and healthy! BMI 27 (need to lose weight) and I exercise regularly. I'm really going to push to see GP......could be 2-3 weeks tho 😢

Jachug

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »

Forgot to say Estradot is 25mcg and I've been to Eye Hospital and have optician appointment. Thanks again

Jachug

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »

Just wanted to thank you again for your reply and give you update! I saw Cardiologist and he says HRT is protective for my heart and I can recommence 🎉 He will arrange a 24 hour monitoring of BP (which has settled) and if it goes up again he will give me medication. I'm delighted as menopause symptoms came back with a vengeance!!!!! X

Salad

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »

Just wanted to thank you again for your reply and give you update! I saw Cardiologist and he says HRT is protective for my heart and I can recommence 🎉 He will arrange a 24 hour monitoring of BP (which has settled) and if it goes up again he will give me medication. I'm delighted as menopause symptoms came back with a vengeance!!!!! X

Good news!!!
Just out of interest - I have been doing a bit of reading about correcting my Vitamin D deficiency and the use of Magnesium supplements.
Apparently there is a link to taking Magnesium and the lowering of blood pressure - might be worth looking in to.  :)