Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice on breast reduction  (Read 4212 times)

RebeccaHarper

Advice on breast reduction
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice for my mum. She is currently considering a breast reduction surgery and I'd like to know how I can be supportive throughout the process. She's in the very early stages of a consultation with a surgeon Gary Ross (http://www.garylross.com/). I've only done a bit of research so far –he sounds great. I've also been trying to do loads of research around the surgery, but the biggest thing I've seen is that it's obviously different for everyone.

She keeps asking for my opinion on the subject and I really don't know what to say. It just seems like such a personal thing and she must have all of her own reasons for wanting to do this. I don't really want to weigh in with my own thoughts as I'm not in her situation so I don't want to be selfish or change her decision.

I'm also concerned about downtime after the surgery. Will I need to take time off work to help out after the surgery and how long can I expect to be needed? I've never ever had my appendix out, so I have no experience in recovering from any type of surgery, so I don't really know what to expect. Is there a long stay in the hospital afterwards or would she come straight home?

Curious to know if anyone has any advice on the topic?

I know it's a bit of a random one, I just know that a friend got some amazing advice on this message board a while back so I thought I'd give it a go :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice on breast reduction
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »

Many young girls find that their breasts grow 'extra' large which impacts on their stance as well as spinal formation and associated muscles, because large breasts can cause on-going back problems, particularly pain.

Is this a recent idea that your Mum has come up with or was this a subject during your childhood?  Would she be willing for you to attend consultations with the Consultant that she has chosen, when she goes to the next appt.?  Would she be agreeable to you ringing the suggested Hospital so that you can find out more information about what to expect?  What does she want you to say?  Is she looking to you for a 'go on, do it' - but this really should be her choice!

Or you could go to your own GP, explain your Mum's situation and ask what might be expected.  I did that when Dad was ill, we live miles from his Surgery but my GP was au fait with his situation and could reassure me.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »

I know  girl who had a reduction and she said it was very painful, think you have to be careful for a few weeks, stretching/lifting etc

We were at a work conference and she was self conscious that her scars were showing and the surgery was over a year before that

lesley998

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:11 PM »

I had one in May!   I was very lucky and had NO pain at all.  I had an amazing surgeon and sailed through it. Was up and about, driving, cooking etc within two days!   Other people complain of considerable pain.  I really think it depends on your surgeon.  Best thing I did was read other people's experiences on Realself.com.  Be warned, there are some horror stories (Strangely enough, mostly from the USA) but mostly the UK reviews are very encouraging and let you know what to expect.  I was always a big girl, but Meno made me grow massive boobs over last  couple of years. Surgery took me from 32H to a 32D.  Your mum will need to be realistic about the size she can go to - my PS explained older large breasted ladies cannot go too small (B or C) or there is a danger you end up with odd looking 'pecs' rather than shapely breasts.  They look very odd straight after surgery but drop quickly into a better shape.  I think it was the best thing I've ever done.  My top tip would be to invest in a good mini massager (yes, a vibrator!) and at the three week mark, when it's all healed, start to massage regularly with any moisturiser for at least ten mins each side twice a day.  My Anchor scars are now almost invisible, flat and white.   

Here's the link to reviews.  Any other questions fire away.

https://www.realself.com/Breast-reduction/reviews

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »

:thankyou:

Sarai

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »

Just found this thread. I note they say you can't go too small but the way I feel Id happily have non. I've a severe kyphosis made worse by spine fractures and my heavy droopy boobs just add to my already considerable back and neck pain. How I look now is irrelevant against how I feel. I'm going to read all the threads.