Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice please Ladies!  (Read 1040 times)

prestige

Advice please Ladies!
« on: January 03, 2018, 08:03:43 PM »

I have a very quick question, that I am sure some of you lovely ladies is bound to know.

I am 47 (Peri-menopausal) I was prescribed Elleste Duet (sequi) by my GP to relieve hot flushes/fatigue/nausea/slight anxiety. However, the side effect were so bad I had to give up after 4 months.

I have gone back to my GP to see if I could be prescribed Oestrogel and Utrogestan . His advice is that because I reacted so badly to Elleste Duet that he will not prescribe the gel as, and I quote his words "it is all basically the same stuff"

Is he correct?

Any advice would be greatly received ;D

Dotty

Re: Advice please Ladies!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »

Elleste Duet contains norethisterone which is what you could have been reacting to.

You could find that the gel is far better than tablets for you.

So I would say that your gp is wrong x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »

Hi Prestige - I would also say that your GP is wrong and at your age you do really need HRT in order to protect your heart and bones at least up to the "normal" meno age of 50/51.

What were your side effects on Elleste?

Taz x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »

prestige, here we go again, more bad advice from a GP.  I can't think why your doctor said that because all HRT preparations are not all the same stuff, they vary.  Your personal tolerance level and absorption rates will differ from those of other people and Ellesse Duet contains norethisterone which is a strong progesterone that many women do not tolerate well. 

I can't take norethisterone at all but I can just about tolerate a very low dose of vaginal Utrogestan and chances are you will be similar.

So has this doctor sent you away without any HRT at all?  If so, that is unacceptable. 

You can either go back and complain to the practice manager waving a copy of the NICE guidelines and insist he prescribes it or get a private prescription. 

You have highlighted two of the main problems that come up on this forum time and time again, clueless GPs re HRT and progesterone intolerance!

Please don't give up trying to get it.

prestige

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »

Thank you ladies for you helpful replies.

I have had the same doctor for over 20 years. In that time I have hardly ever gone in to see him (apart from the old mild ailment). This is really the first time I have really turned to him for help and advice. Quite frankly I have to say I am not impressed at all at his level of ignorance.

To add insult to injury. When I tackled him regarding risk of Osteoporosis (my mother has it) and future heart problems. He said that HRT did not protect against any of this!
He said I would be much better off taking the AD and not to worry about HRT and their future health benefits.

I'm just grateful that a forum like this does exist, as it clearly protects women (like myself) from GP's like mine.

Looks like I won't be going back to see him in any hurry.

Thank you ladies once again for your advice!

xx

Emerald2017

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:19:02 PM »

He is absolutely wrong! My first gyn, who I trusted for 15 years, said that meno is something natural and to accept it! When I said to him that I cannot function at all, he said to stay at home! I was in despair! I finally find another gyn and he said that I have to take hrt immediately! I'm 41. Take care! 🌹