Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Irritability. And - different subject- alcohol  (Read 1245 times)

Lynda07

Irritability. And - different subject- alcohol
« on: January 01, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »

I've not posted here for a while but reading your posts makes me feel less alone.

I've totally lost my old self. I am typing this 2 stone heavier than I used to be, chins and tummy weighing me down. Wet through with yet another hot flush is just adding to my unique  look😥

How do you cope with irritability? I can feel mine when I wake up,  not every day but when it's there I know I am in for a rough day. Impatient, irritated by everything and sometimes -  and this makes me want to cry - I even shout at my beloved dog. I hate myself then.

Also, not sleeping at all, well maybe an hour or two. That makes me feel dreadful. And my hot sweats are at an all time worst. I am not exaggerating- I am wet through all night. I wondered if anyone had stopped drinking alcohol and seen any improvement in their symptoms as I will admit I am drinking every night to make myself feel more chilled out (which I know is stupid and short term at best)

Sorry for rambling, I know a lot of you are suffering worse than me but this is just such an awful time.

xx

Taz2

Re: Irritability. And - different subject- alcohol
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »

Hi Lynda07 - are you still using HRT? I found that this was the only thing that helped with irritability such as you describe and also stopped the hot sweats leading to more and better quality sleep which then made me feel much better overall.

Taz x

Roseneath

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:26:49 AM »

Hi Lynda. You could be me posting, you are not alone. I would agree that alcohol,  specifically wine for me, l makes sleep harder in peri or makes you wake every hour or so.  I too feel that I am in such an anxious, stressed out mood that a glass of wine is the only thing (aside from valium which I ended up taking twice after weeks of not sleeping well) that makes me feel more relaxed and like the ' old' me. Given the effect on sleep I try to stay off it (or have a G & T instead!). I also avoid black tea and coffee from midday.  I can't stress how important eating little and often is for my mood (Credit to CLKD for this tip!) Just today I had no breakfast until 11:00am (we run a guest house...) and I felt very low and foggy. I have had some toast and boom the colour and focus comes back. Ditto fresh air. The problem is when we get into these down moods it is hard to motivate yourself to do these things.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 02:35:01 PM »

Tnx Roseneath.

Cut the alcohol.  Let the body 'breath'.  Yoga.  Brisk walking. Swimming.  Eat every 3 hours  ;)

My apron dropped 3 years ago so that I look saggy from above  ::).  As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains and then my tummy dropped, 'middle aged spread'  ???

Lynda07

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »

As always, thank you for your replies and support.

Taz2. I stopped the HRT after a short time as I felt as though I had PMT on a daily basis. Decided to try and plough through it and at one point the hot sweats even lessened. Not so now though.

Roseneath, I have been trying intermittent fasting so eating only twice a day but am interested in what you and CLKD say about eating little and often.

Thank you Sparkle and CLKD for replying. I guess I need to try and drop the alcohol.
xx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:17:29 PM »

Which HRT were you on? Some, such as Evorel, give PMT symptoms and a change to another one can make such a difference. I had to swap from Evorel to FemSeven and the PMT disappeared.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »

Do you have the drink prior to needing one or when you feel desperate?

If you don't buy bottles you can't drink it  ;)

Roseneath

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »

Just to add on the eating...I did a menopause shop following the advice on eating little and often that CLKD gave...stocked up on snack stuff like bananas, nuts, stuff for smoothies (soya milk), even some comfort food like crumpets. Only drink green or fruit/herbal teas post 12:00  (make this golden tea - tumeric, honey, ginger, lemon). There are some books on Amazon on menopause diet. I do lapse (a lot!) but I do feel sooo much better in my mood when I eat every 2-3 hours and it also makes me feel I am being proactive in fighting back a bit. xxx