Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cholesterol and statins  (Read 9888 times)

HopeAlone

Re: Cholesterol and statins
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »

Now I'm puzzled as my results state non fasted  ???
Looks like something else I need to investigate x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »

It may depend on whether it's a cholesterol-specific test or included in the usual raft of 'routine' tests.

Katejo

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »

It may depend on whether it's a cholesterol-specific test or included in the usual raft of 'routine' tests.
I have to fast if the range of tests being done includes cholesterol. I don't have to fast if they are just checking thyroid. I once suggested that the first hour of tests could be restricted to those who have to go to work together with patients who have to fast. I was told that the vast majority of patients are told to fast so this wouldn't help.
In my local area we have just heard that certain blood test centres are going to close by later this month. Fortunately mine isn't one of them but the queues will be longer. There may be an online booking option but I can't see how it is going to work effectively.

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »

That may be so in Hospital but I agree - have those fasted first!  same with Ambulance and walk-in appts., all the Ambulances used to arrive at 10.00 a.m. ......... why not ask walk-ins to arrive at 11.30  ::)

Machair

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »

My Mum had a massive stroke and her total cholesterol was 3.9. She never recovered her health after that. My mother in law had total cholesterol of 4 and she died young from dementia. Cholesterol itself isn't the problem but excess sugar probably is more significant as it is converted into triglycerides- see my favourite video here.
https://www.drnorthrup.com/video/medical-tests-women-over-60/

To convert blood glucose values see here
http://www.joslin.org/info/conversion_table_for_blood_glucose_monitoring.html
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:09:22 PM by Machair »

Katejo

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »

I am avoiding medication for as long as possible.  During a raft of recent blood tests my cholesterol was found to be still high.  GP muttering about stroke risk and statins ...... am waiting for a new set of blood results and have an appt. for end of October.  In the mean time am cutting out croissants etc.  :o and have added benecol products to my diet.  The yoghurts aren't too bad and I take my evening AD with the small bottle of drink. 

Has anyone here had success in lowering cholesterol to a level that the GP is happy with other than by taking statins?
  Has trying Benecol made any difference since you wrote this CLKD?   I have come back to this discussion for a different reason and have a question for other members.
Have any of you declared high cholesterol when buying travel insurance? I haven't up to now. I have just renewed my  1 year European policy but I am wondering whether I should add this. I don't have a weight problem, blood pressure is always ok and I don't have diabetes or smoke. My current insurer claims that anyone who has ever had high cholesterol must declare it even if they don't have it now.

Kathleen

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »

Hello ladies.

I recently had some tests and my numbers were fine but if they had been high I would've been asked to arrange a fasted blood test. A few years ago my total cholesterol was 5 but now it's 4.3, I wonder if this is due to changing my diet to plant based which means I don't  eat any saturated fat from meat, eggs or dairy.

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »

I 'went off' Benecol though DH is continuing with it as well as cooking more veg-based food mixes and we both need to do more exercise  ::).  Life has taken over  :'(  :-\ so I didn't get for my repeat blood test in mid-November ........ I have had muscle cramps which have now settled into the left arm which at times, is acute  :o.  It doesn't last long fortunately or I wouldn't take the medication.

Over-all my Life style (apart from lack of exercise) is good.  DH is going to have a repeat blood test next month.  If Life has settled ........

Hurdity

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »

Have any of you declared high cholesterol when buying travel insurance? I haven't up to now. I have just renewed my  1 year European policy but I am wondering whether I should add this. I don't have a weight problem, blood pressure is always ok and I don't have diabetes or smoke. My current insurer claims that anyone who has ever had high cholesterol must declare it even if they don't have it now.

I wouldn't even consider declaring it as it's not a health condition - unless doc has decreed that is something of concern in your case? Also I defo wouldn't if they are that unspecific. What do they mean by high cholesterol? Measurement of total cholesterol is not the important thing anyway. LDL (the bad one) and HDL (the good one) should be measured separately as well as the total and crucially the ratio between Total and HDL which should be less than 4 irrespective of actual Total and LDL readings. Also relevant is what the doc says about your high reading and your overall stroke risk. I have high Total and LDL but also in range HDL and in range ratio so no problem and no treatment. Also doc is not concerned as I have low stroke risk according to the Q risk thing they do.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »

How long do NICE Guidelines last?  It states on the NHS web-site that cholesterol should be treated with diet and exercise advice B4 statins are prescribed.  That was in 2015.

Daisydot

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »

Did anyone watch “trust me I'm a doctor”they tested three groups of adults first group olive oil second group butter third group coconut oil,they checked both cholesterol levels good and bad before and after the trials and the coconut oil was a clear winner,even though it's high in saturated fats it turned the bad cholesterol into good cholesterol and the scientists couldnt really explain why this had happened.I quite like the idea of taking a teaspoon of coconut oil each night usually before bed and I sneak it into as many menus or fry's that I can or in smoothies and it's a great help for Constipation as it smooths the way for bowel movements in a kind way.id much rather use that method than go down the route of statins again.

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »

Missed that one.  We eat quite a bit of coconut 'milk' in curries and I get to finish the tin ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 05:46:26 PM »

NICE Guidelines that you see on the NICE website are current ie up to date - the Menopause ones for example were also produced in 2015 and they will last a number of years. It takes at least two years for them to be produced. terms of reference need to be produced (not sure if this is the same for each review of guidelines?), a panel has to be appointed and then meet and review all the evidence and research, which has to be written up and the consultation process also takes a few months. Therefore the ones in 2015 are very up to date. I would suggest that if something was found that medically contradicted the advice, before Guidelines were due to be reviewed - some sort of caveat would be given at the start and ceretainly something puit on the NHS website too?

I can't imagine any doctor putting someone on statins without first suggesting a change in diet and exercise unless they were at imminent risk of having a stroke! If anyone suggested that to me I would - er - tell them politley where to put their statins.  As I said earlier in this thread ( probably) the only thing I was told to do about my high cholesterol was to have it retested in two years time (I think I told the doc about my diet and lifestyle...).

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »

:thankyou:  Hurdity.   She was insistent.  She wouldn't listen  ::).  I am not at risk.  I think that she has personal experience about stroke.  However .......... I'll see what the next blood test shows.  If I remember, I may even update here  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]