Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Suffering Newbie  (Read 2152 times)

Lizzie06

Suffering Newbie
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »

Hi all. I'm 58, started the menopause approx 10 yrs ago. I decided not to go onto HRT as my symptoms were not severe and I was concerned about the possible side effects of HRT. Looking back now I wish I had gone onto HRT.
I started experiencing vaginal apthropy approx 6 months ago but not really knowing much about it, I didn't go to my GP for a few months.  My GP started me on estriol 0.01% cream suggesting I try it for 3 months to give my vagina a chance to get a good amount of estrogen. I'm just into my 2nd week of using estriol twice a week after the initial 14 days nightly application.
During the initial 2 weeks my symptoms did appear to improve but now they seem to be worse. The morning after application my urethra and vulva become sore which I believe is caused by the cream working it's way out, or is it something else. I use vagisil prohydrate and zeroderm ointment to wash with. I am now wondering whether I should continue using the cream (should apply tonight) as I have been very sore over the last few days since the last application.
Any help or advice would be very mush appreciated. TIA 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Suffering Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:16:57 PM »

Which preparation are you using for the atrophy?

Some ladies find that they need more than the 2 weeks' recommended nightly loading.  Some find that they need to use it every night or alternate nights.  It's a bit Trial and Error  ::).

Symptoms can be eased by taking pain relief, i.e. Nurofen.  Do try another few nights and then apply alternatively.

Lizzie06

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »

Thanks for reply CLKD, yeah think this is going to be very much trial and error. Just really anxious about inserting the cream tonight knowing I will suffer tomorrow.
By preparation to you mean what I'm using? Estriol cream 0.01%, inserted into vagina using applicator twice weekly.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

Ask for Vagifem, doesn't leak out like the cream and use every night for two weeks, then go on a maintenance dose...possibly up to five times a week.
I would also use just warm water to wash with for now and leave off any ointments and go knickerless in bed.

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »

Tinkerbell is right, Vagifem is best if you think the estriol cream might be causing irritation. I use Vagifem nightly (not just twice a week) and am also supposed to use an estriol cream externally every other night but can't get on with either Ovestin or the generic 0.01% estriol. As well as using just water to wash the area, and going knickerless whenever possible, you might also try a vaginal moisturiser, either Sylk or one of the Yes products. These are the brands least likely to cause further irritation, although we are all different, and it is as you say, trial and error. Another thing you could try is Multigyn Actigel, which helps to balance the vaginal flora and prevent or treat bacterial vaginosis. I did find that when I was using an estriol cream internally, this could be a problem. Actigel stings on initial application, but it is effective if you think you might have BV, and the stinging does wear off. Good luck.

Lizzie06

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »

Tinkerbell is right, Vagifem is best if you think the estriol cream might be causing irritation. I use Vagifem nightly (not just twice a week) and am also supposed to use an estriol cream externally every other night but can't get on with either Ovestin or the generic 0.01% estriol. As well as using just water to wash the area, and going knickerless whenever possible, you might also try a vaginal moisturiser, either Sylk or one of the Yes products. These are the brands least likely to cause further irritation, although we are all different, and it is as you say, trial and error. Another thing you could try is Multigyn Actigel, which helps to balance the vaginal flora and prevent or treat bacterial vaginosis. I did find that when I was using an estriol cream internally, this could be a problem. Actigel stings on initial application, but it is effective if you think you might have BV, and the stinging does wear off. Good luck.
Thanks for all the replies. Going to see my GP to discuss an alternative to estriol cream, as said we are all different and it's a matter of trial and error. The Sylk and Yes products you mention joaniepat are they external or internal application  :great:

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 04:15:52 PM »

Lizzie, I would use them externally. Just apply to the vulva with your finger, and shove a bit into the vestibule as well if it helps. Yes comes in a tube and Sylk in a small bottle. Both companies do single use applicators for internal use as well, but these are pricey so best to find out if you get on with them before considering those.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 09:09:40 PM »

YES will send out free samples.
I didn't get on with the be SYLK stuff to be honest, made me sore.

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 09:17:41 PM »

Sylk will also send a free sample. I'm fine with both products, but find Sylk needs fewer applications per day. I like the little bottle too, easier to fit in the handbag than the tube of Yes VM  :)