Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Bleed through and spotting with Oestrogel I’m panicking  (Read 2257 times)

Linde Carr

Bleed through and spotting with Oestrogel I’m panicking
« on: December 28, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »

I started oestrogel for atrophy vaginitis and I was really pleased until I missed a dose and started break through spotting. I calmed down when I read the info on the website that said this is nothing to worry about. That was until I went to see my doctor but he is on holiday and so I saw the stand in locum. He told me that I had to wait until my doctor is back so I can have an internal to see that everything is ok. Now I am really worried as I have to wait 2 weeks. I have read so many entries on here regarding break through bleeding but this locum didn't seem to know much. I am now going to have to sit it out.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bleed through and spotting with Oestrogel I’m panicking
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »

How is the product applied?  I have used both Vagifem and Ovestin1mg directly into the vagina which really does solve the atrophy, but I have never had spotting.

Linde Carr

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »

Oestrogel is a gel applied onto the thighs. I have looked on the website for this product and they say that it can cause spotting and break out bleeding for the first few months. I am unnerved by the locum GP who didn't seem to know a lot about it or maybe he was playing it safe. I cannot wait until my own doctor gets back as he is very knowledgeable about all things to do with these issues.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »

You will find 1 thing as you go through this journey: that there aren't many UK GPs/Consultants out there au fait with menopause  >:( despite efforts being made by various NICE-guidelines etc..

You really need a direct application into the vagina to ease symptoms.  It's about plumping up the walls with oestrogen supplement.  The idea is to use the product for 2 weeks every night then 'as necessary', the manufacturers think that Vagifem 10mg should be twice a week but some ladies find that symptoms are only kept at bay with nightly use.

Linde Carr

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:12:43 PM »

Thank you so much or the info I have felt so much better since I found this forum with so much information and common sense.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »

Hi Linde Carr

:welcomemm:

You haven't said how old you are and where in menopause ie when was your last natural period? Also you don't mention progesterone but as you are bleeding you must have a womb and so I presume you are taking a progestogen on some sort to prevent the womb lining building up (unless you have a Mirena?).

It's imppossible to say what is causing the bleeding without knowing what your natural periods are doing and what progestogen you are using. if you can tell us that then we might be able to help?

Hurdity x

Linde Carr

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 06:22:46 PM »

Firstly thank you so much for replying to me I feel a bit of a fuss pot making such an issue out of this. I am postmenopausal and I'm 67 years old and I have atrophy vaginitis. At the beginning of December my doctor prescribed Oestrogel for the atrophy vaginitis and it was great. I stupidly stopped using it when I got a bout of IBS. Then on  Christmas Eve I started the Oestrogel again and within six hours I had a light breakthrough bleed.I panicked and stopped any more doses. I still have spotting now. I looked on the Oestrogel website and it does say that breakthrough bleeding or spotting can occur in the first few months especially if you miss a dose. I am so happy to have found this forum and I have poured through the entries.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »

Hi again Linde Carr

You are absolutely not a fusspot! It's important to get all of these things right and to be reassured if necessary.

In your case I am worried that you have not mentioned a progestogen at all. If you are applying oestrogel (ie the gel you put on your skin) - say 1 or 2 pumps worth then you absolutely must take a progestogen to protect your womb. Without this then the lining will thicken and puts you at risk of endometrial cancer. Due to your age I doubt whether you have a Mirena still (?) so you must take something. When the lining thickens it can come away sporadically and cause bleeding and will probably not settle on its own. It is surprising that you started bleeding so quickly after startng to use it and this implies that your womb lining may well have thickened - unless the spotting is from the vagina and due to your VA - and perhaps after inserting vagifem or after sex maybe?

Please do pursue this so that you get the right treatment.

Hurdity x