News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Reflux  (Read 5016 times)

Spangles

Reflux
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:29:14 PM »

Hi ladies,
I visited the doctor yesterday with mu burning stomach, constant burping, feeling like I have a brick/been kicked in stomach!
I now have meds for Reflux.
I actually feel ill with it, I'm going through a hormonal anxiety phase too so that doesn't help.
Do any of you lovely ladies have any advice on the best food to eat? I've lost a couple of pounds too as I've not been eating properly, I can't afford to do this as I'm only small, weighing 8st.
I had my gall bladder removed 16years ago, prior to that I was treated for reflux for 7years as the gall bladder wasn't detected.
Any advice would be good.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Reflux
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »

A couple of pounds is neither here nor there so try not to worry.

4 me I chew two Rennies the moment heartburn begins.  Reflux will soon follow otherwise.  Sometimes O-the-C medicines are better than what GPs prescribe   ::).  Eating little and often can help, as can not laying flat at night and not eating too close to going to bed.

Maybe raise the legs of your bed about 4"?

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:24:54 PM »

Hello Shellb.

I believe that fatty foods take a long time to digest and this puts extra pressure on the stomach valve leading  to reflux. My vegetarian/vegan books say that plant based diets are easier on the stomach and the way to keep up the calories is to eat plenty of starchy foods ie, potatoes, grains, pulses.  All this may be worth a try and hope this helps.

Take care.

K.

Spangles

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »

Thanks for your replies ladies.
I'm so sick of the menopause, the symptoms just keep on coming! When is there an end to it all?
Do symptoms peak and then taper off as you get towards the end of it all? The worst for me like many is the anxiety and all the things that brings.
I'm going through PMT post period this month and it won't settle until I've had my next period!
Just fed up!
Sorry for ranting I know we are all suffering.
Stomach still struggling although I have eaten more regular today, I find it such an effort to eat when I feel like this, but I am determined to get my few list pounds back.
Thanks again
Shellb
xXx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »

Ginger and garlic settle the gut really well.  Think of the many Asian recipes for example, most use a combination of both. 

Initially garlic gave me heartburn but I persevered.  Now Himself adds both to most foods, even roasted chicken with veggies. 

Ginger biscuits.  Ginger beer.  Grated ginger in hot water.  Garlic acts as an astringent to the gut ..........

Sarai

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »

If you can get off the meds do try. At least as fast as your symptoms settle.
Sadly they are known to cause osteoporosis something we are already prone to at our time of like. They stop absorption of vital nutrients.
Conversely reflux is often a symptom of too little acid. Try Apple Cider Vinegar ( with the mother). It's an acquired taste but really helps.
PPIs are so against nature and also lead to vitamin b12 deficiency.
A quick fix is chewing a few almonds. Or a little gaviscon pill, which is mostly calcium, not the best calcium but at least not a drug.

Vieja Bruja

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 03:39:58 PM »

I suffer from reflux / heartburn and it worsens when I'm stressed, I can often get a stress-related attack on an empty stomach.

Food triggers are normally anything fatty including chocolate, cream and pastry.  I don't have caffeine, I don't have fizzy drinks and I've reduced my alcohol intake considerably - all this has definitely helped. 

I used to take omeprazole but there have been some bad reports about it so I just stick to Gaviscon now and often take it immediately after food that I know will trigger an attack

x

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 04:43:14 PM »

To all you ladies try kefir milk it's full of friendly bacteria ,leaves probiotics standing,research it and you'll see all the health benefits.
Don't go for expensive you can buy kefir milk in the polish food section in Asda it's a green and white bottle priced at £1-39 take half a glass in the morning before breakfast,you can also make it into a smoothie with banana or fruit you can tolerate making it much more palatable.its like a drinking yoghurt.you can buy kefir grains and make yourself i your airing cupboard with cows milk goats milk or coconut water,it's so easy and cost effective takes around 3-5 days for your first batch then after that using a spoon of milk from the original batch of kefir it ferments daily.reserach it and you'll see it's truly brilliant stuff.good luck xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 04:47:39 PM »

What's kefir exactly?  Fermented something?

I find if my gut is empty I get background heartburn if that makes sense  :-\ ?  Also chocolate can cause it but I'm not giving up chocolate  :rofl:

Daisydot

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »

Yes it's fermeneted milk can be any kind of milk or you can even use water if you want it's basically the kefir grains that are full of friendly bacteria like probiotics but on a bigger scale,you then add a liquid and pop into the airing cupboard in preferably a glass lidded jar and the heat makes the grains ferment you could also make cheese with it if inclined.im lazy and prefer to just buy it ready made but to be honest making it at home is really the best as your then getting it in it's purest and most effective form.

Roseneath

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »

Hi Shellb. Yep my digestive woes have co-incided with peri / anxiety problems and come and go; have been to the docs a few times and the only thing they gave me that eased it was Ranitidine (the ' prazole' things made me feel like I had cement in my stomach). I also found that anything with peppermint / mint  - even flavoured made things 10 times worse for me. I flare up at fried food / pastry / caffeine / alcohol /stress.  The burps I do are sometimes g-i-g-a-n-t-i-c .....  Two natural tips I find excellent; fennel seeds - I chew them after ' big' meal or fatty foods and tumeric tea (do a lemon / ginger teabag & add honey/ginger/lemon and a good teaspon of tumeric. Tumeric is used a lot in India as an anti inflammatory, it's soothing.

Spangles

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »

Thanks for your posts ladies.
I stopped the omeprazole after a week as I didn't want to take it anymoreive not been too bad, anxiety definitely does not help!
I'm anxious now as I've just booked a holiday and I'm anxious about being anxious on holiday!
As for the kefir milk, it sounds wonderful but I'm sensitive to dairy these days so I only take soya milk, is kefir dairy?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Daisydot

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »

Hi Shellb kefir can be cows milk goats milk coconut milk or just water.the Asda one is actually cows milk but low lactose etc,you can type into Asda website in search box and it will list ingredients.do a search on kefir and you will find plenty info.sauerkraut is also very beneficial search that out too.x

Spangles

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 04:11:55 PM »

So much for feeling better!
Having an anxiety day today and guess what.... burning stomach again! Just do know what to eat, I would like to try the kafir milk but I'm reluctant as dairy upset me.
It's getting me down now.
 :'(

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »

Hello again Shelb.

A source of non dairy beneficial bacteria is Sauerkraut which you can easily make yourself and there is plenty of info online.  Some shops do stock it but it's only the chiller cabinet product that has live bacteria. Incidentally I was in Holland and Barrett today and they are selling fresh Kombacha tea which is another fermented drink and also dairy free I believe.

Wishing you well.

K.