Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Driving incidents  (Read 1647 times)

Stillsearching

Driving incidents
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »

I've been driving for over 40 years relatively incident free. I don't exceed speed limits and am always careful. Yesterday I was taking my husband somewhere on a route I know well. We approached some traffic lights, they changed to amber then red and I went sailing through with my husband yelling "They're on red" and "There's a red light camera on this one". Both of which I was well aware of. So what happened? I just didn't have any thought about stopping. So now I await the summons through the post. I think what concerns me is that both of my parents had dementia and in both cases it was strange driving that first alerted us that something was wrong. What do you think? :-\

Daisydot

Re: Driving incidents
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »

Many years ago I was driving in Spain a route I'd done a zillion times,you had to come through a tunnel after the airport so I always switched the lights on anyway before I knew it I noticed my cut off for my house,I'd no memory of going through that tunnel my lights weren't on,that scared the life out me and I've never forgotten it,I also didn't know why that happened and I think it was a valuable lesson keep my focus on what I'm doing at the time no wandering or daydreaming as that could have easily been a disaster.as far as I'm aware I've nit done anything like that since ,”or have I”👼

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:34:23 PM »

Maybe have a few driving lessons to see how alert you are at different times of day?  A few reminders by someone not emotionally involved with you might help?

I note that Himself doesn't answer me because he concentrates a lot more.  I haven't driven for 12 months so don't know my standards.  He won't indicated until he's turned into the junction  >:( - "I can't indicate until I reach the corner".  Nope, you need to let those behind know in good time as well as making the passenger/s aware!

Snoooze

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »

I wouldn't be too concerned. I went through a red light not long ago and my kids shouted at me. I could have sworn it had turned green! When my mum was going through meno she went the wrong way around a roundabout!

Salad

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »

I stopped at a green light  ;D

I was only 19 and at my health peak, so try not to worry.

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 05:13:21 PM »

;D ;D

JaneinPen

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »

My husband definitely needs to concentrate more when on journeys through towns etc that he is not familiar with so it is a no radio and no chitter chatter from me at those times. We watched a lady of a certain age in front of us go round a the roundabout the wrong way. She didn't appear at all worried by this. I must admit I did wonder if she was having a ‘meno' day