Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: to whiten or not to whiten...advice please!  (Read 2046 times)

rebel2

to whiten or not to whiten...advice please!
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »

I would really love to get my teeth whitened but am a bit scared!  Two years ago I had to have serious hygienist treatment for my gums as they receded badly and started bleeding - now I am suddenly a bit dental phobic.  I have lovely straight teeth but they are going very yellow and it is not helping my confidence during the ageing process as I am very self conscious about them.

I don't fancy the instant Zoom treatment as I worry about sensitivity -I have always used sensodyn as have very sensitive teeth.

But prepared to put up with considerable amount of short term pain in order to go whiter - not reality show 'Rylan' style white, just cleaner looking than they are now.

Any thoughts?

star35

Re: to whiten or not to whiten...advice please!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »

Hi rebel2 my daughter had thought about this but when she discussed it with her dentist, as he was the one who was going to do it she changed her mind because there was quite a lot of food she wouldn't be able to eat because of staining. Even foods we thought would be safe weren't,lots of sauces will stain  and lots of ordinary food as well.

Salad

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »

I've had it done and I have sensitive teeth.

I made sure I was up to date with getting my teeth checked by the dentist and had an appointment with the hygienist so my teeth were clean- I'm dental phobic too so it was a big challenge.

The whitening itself was done by having a set of 'retainers' made, then I was given the gel to apply at home. I chose this method on the dentist's advice, as I could adapt the way I applied the gel depending on how sensitive my teeth felt.
The effect was pretty much overnight and having had the consultation with the dentist I knew my teeth were not going to be the neon white seen on some Celebrities.
I was pleased with the result and will do it again when I need to -so my advice is
Do it  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »

Don't.   Unless it's done by a Dentist experienced in the practice.  Teeth in general are yellow so having them too white will alter the colour of your face!

Linsey44

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 12:33:38 AM »

I have done mine several years ago,  it was with rhe trays made by the dentist and he gave me the solution.

Results were good.  Havent done them again since.

My teeth are sensitive but the dentist advised me to line the trays before and after using the solution with your sensitive toothpaste.

Also sensodyne isnt nearly as good as colgate they do a pro relief extra strength.  I always think sensodyne leaves teeth feeling coated. Or maybe thats just me.

Linseyx

rebel2

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 10:40:25 AM »

Thanks Linsey44 and Salad - I am going to bite the bullet (love my pun) and make an appointment tomorrow!  You've given me the courage!