Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: How to find a menopause friendly GP ?  (Read 1091 times)

Daisydot

How to find a menopause friendly GP ?
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »

So how do ladies actually find a menopause friendly GP in their area guys?I have to bear I mind that we are only allowed to register within a certain radius of our home address so it's very difficult.
Have any of you ladies found a way round this and any tips on how to start looking please.thank you in anticipation xx

Annie0710

Re: How to find a menopause friendly GP ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:22:18 PM »

The first gp I saw re menopause was an old dragon who had me in tears, she must've sailed through hers, have seen a male gp who didn't understand but listened, then stumbled across a young (to me) female Asian gp who really listened and sought help from an nhs gynae.  Now another young female has taken interest but is more scared of the testosterone prescription so I have to have regular blood tests.  We moved recently to 11 miles away but I asked if I could stay at that surgery as I now have my hrt regime sorted and they've agreed.  I'd say it took 4 years to find the nice gp x

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »

Hi Annie it's a slog isn't it lol.ive moved practices and have an appointment with new GP in Jan so I'm hoping I don't get any grief or resistance to my new HRT regime that dr Currie suggested.I feel like Im finally getting somewhere and actually feel reasonably well at the moment,everyine says but you've only been on HRT 5 or 6 weeks but I honestly felt my mood lift after a few days and the feelings of anxiety and desperation certainly eased off,I truly hated the negative person I had become it's just not me I was so scared of everything and everyone no confidence whatsoever.all I can say is right now I  don't feel like that and I want to continue to maintain this feeling as much as I can so I'll throttle any doctor who tries to change this lol.Have a wonderful Christmas and fingers crossed I'll get sorted out at new practice xx if not I'll keep moving till I do lol xx

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 04:35:25 AM »

As bless .  Emphasise how much this regime has changed your life.  Tell them what you couldn't do that you can now.  Hopefully they'll listen.  Good luck and hope you have a lovely Christmas xxx

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »

Hello Daisydot.

As Annie says you have to search them out, it's not like they advertise lol. I encountered an older female locum  who's first words were  ' I don't agree with HRT '. Unfortunately for her, or fortunately for me, I'd had a major panic on the way to the surgery and was in no mood for a debate so I said ' well I'm not coming off of it ' so that was the end of that  discussion! Another male GP was very pro because his wife had had a difficult menopause and he'd spent a long time trying to get her HRT right. I have to say that generally the GPs in my surgery are pro HRT,  infact the youngish doctor that I am registered with is pretty knowledgeable about the menopause and has even quoted some research.

I hope you find the right person soon,  keep looking as they are out there!

Take care.

K.