Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: doctors today  (Read 2535 times)

robotwars

doctors today
« on: December 14, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »

Well  went to my doctors appointment today, to have my internal while I was there she discussed my blood test results and I have to have them redone because I have borderline white blood cells and she also said I had a high result for diabetes, she said I scored 49 which is on the higher side and she is sending me some information to read then I have to go back in jan after my pelvic scan and the blood tests are redone.

littleminnie

Re: doctors today
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »

Hi robotwars.  My OH had his blood sugar tested and was told it was 7 and this was high.  Unless it was some other test.

Ginger2004

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »

Just saw that you had already written about the GP visit, I didn't see this when I replied to your other post.

Hope that you get sorted soon.

MsSpaz

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 11:33:13 PM »

49??? If that is mmol/l and not some other way of measuring, she should have put you on insulin right away! Normal is 5-6.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »

If the reading is 49 then it is the Hba1c test - which measures glycated haemoglobin (red blood cells contain this) and measures average blood sugar over the past 3 months (in m mol/mol) , http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html  as opposed to the fasting blood sugar test ( an instantaneous measurement at one point in time) which measures blood glucose in m mol/l.

So yes that is high robotwars! What is your weight and diet like ie are you overweight and do you eat/drink lots of carbs/sugar? In your position I would make immediate changes to your diet  in advance of getting the tests redone (if necessary by cutting out sugar as much as you can (including alchoholic drinks except vodka  ::) , apart from a limited amount of fruit, and vastly reducing all refined carbs and carbs in general - and see what your next measurement is like. If it is an indication of Type 2 diabetes then you may well be able to control this with diet and get your blood sugar levels down this way without medication. I dont know a lot about this although had a relative with Type 2 diabetes, and another relative with so-called "pre-diabetes" which isn't actually a condition - but just an indication that your blood sugar levels are getting close to diabetic and a warning that you need to make changes to your diet!

Or am I misunderstanding and you already have diabetes? Apologies if so as you will know what I've just said and maybe you do anyway!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

PS I see from your other posts that you are not overweight but it could be your diet contains too much sugar? Otherwise I wonder if the doc is able to give any explanation for your high blood sugar levels?

Hurdity x

robotwars

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, I'm 5 ft 4 and only weigh between 8 and 9 stone, I don't drink alcohol. I will admit that I have been graving chocolate! LOL when I feel down, which is a lot lately, I seem to grave the sugar!!!! Must try harder and not eat it, this wont be easy at Christmas...

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »

Hello robotwars.

I know nothing about type 2  diabetes but the site I subscribe to (  www.nutritionfacts.org which is run by Dr Michael Greger) has some information on this based on recent research. You may find it useful to look this up to get some ideas about how to proceed.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you well.

K.