Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Endometrial regrowth after ablation and post menopausal bleeding  (Read 3765 times)

MsSpaz

Endometrial regrowth after ablation and post menopausal bleeding
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:54:40 AM »

Some history - I'm 54 and have been in menopause for 9 years. In 2001, at age 38, I had a rollerball endometrial ablation for endometrial hyperplasia. Ever since menopause, I've been experiencing intermittent bleeding. At age 49, while in hospital for a week with pneumonia, I bled for about 4 or 5 days, light like my periods after the ablation were. One of my nurses said it was quite possible to go a few years without a period, then have them start again, she said it happened to her. However, I did not start up again with periods, though the intermittent bleeding continued. It could go months or even a couple years in between and was usually light spotting.

Then, in early Oct., after at least 2 years with nothing, I had a 3 day bleed. This time, it was weird in that the blood was bright red and did not darken upon drying. 9 days later, I had a short bleed one morning - same thing on colour. I had an appt. with a gynecologist for another unrelated matter, and my GP said to be sure to tell him about the bleeding.

The gyn is, in his words "very, very, very worried about you (me)". He seems to feel my endometrium is thick, which is common in fat chicks as we still produce estrogen and estrogen causes it to grow. Apparently, endo cancer on grows in thick endometriums. I have to have a TV u/s and probably a D&C and hysteroscopy after that. He changed that from the latter two procedures first as I wasn't crazy about going to the OR. I will not be able to get that until Jan. (wouldn't be able to get the other procedures until at least Jan either)

He was going to try a biopsy in office, even though he was concerned about scarring from the ablation, but he could not see my cervix. He did say I have a healthy vagina, with no signs of atrophy (another thing that can cause bleeding after menopause).

Has anyone here had an endometrial ablation and if so, has the uterine lining regrown? I am really, really freaked out about this. I'd never imagined mine would grow back, I had thought it was permanent.  Thanks in advance for any replies. 

Dancinggirl

Re: Endometrial regrowth after ablation and post menopausal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »

I did respond to You on other thread. I'm relieved to hear things are being investigated. I expect it is possible to have the endometrium regrow after an ablation as I know women who have had this procedure still have to use progesterone as part of HRT tonstop a build up of the womb lining.
I am not an expert but I'm afraid excess weight does give many risks - have you had help with trying to control you weight? Once you have been given the all clear, following tests, the most important  thing for you would be to get help over your weight problem to reduce your health risks in the long term. So many if us struggle to keep weight under control when menopause hits.
Good luck and keep your us posted.  DG x

MsSpaz

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I am not interested in weight loss, I'm fine being a fat chick.

Kwebst

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:18:44 AM »

Hiya
I had an ablation years ago. Very successful and stopped my periods for about a year. After that I started having periods again but it would only last about half a day and not really be much more than spotting, and very regular. Once I hit peri it's been all over the place, especially with taking hrt. Flow is heavier too but i'd Still consider them light lasting only a day or two. I definitely believe the endometrium grows back.
Try not to worry but you are wise to get this checked out.
Hugs

MsSpaz

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 11:29:20 PM »

Thank you so much, Kwebst. Last week, my gyn's admin asst told me that they only take off the top layer of the endometrium in ablation so it can definitely grow back. Just my luck.

I have also recently experienced a light pink discharge, which I had not had before.

Kwebst

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 12:32:27 AM »

Hiya
Have to say I have had bleeding of every colour of the sun (almost!😆) over the years. Try not to worry, I know the waiting is horrible because you will always imagine the worst senario in these cases. Be positive! 👍