Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hrt advice  (Read 5541 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Hrt advice
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »

If you half the progesterone dose then there is a good chance the womb lining will build up and this could result in Erratic or problematic bleeding. It would be better to take the full dose for 10-12 days each month until you see the Gynae.
I think the standard dose of Norithisterone is 10mg for 10-12'days. The 5mg dose is for continuous HRT, so should be taken every day alongside the Oestrogel - 5 mg is the low dose not a high dose. DG x

Donna-paul

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »

I'm confused as someone on here said 5mg was to high and that was why I was feeling awful. When I looked at the tablets it says 1mg northestrone now I don't know?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »

Sorry - I have confused things for you.  IF you are on 1mg of Norethisterone daily then that is the normal dose. 5mcg would be a half dose I think and would be too low with either a conti or sequi regimes.  Essentially, take the daily dose you have been prescribed but for just 12 days and then stop - continue with the Oestrogel on it's own for the next 2-3 weeks and then add in 10-12 days of the Norethesterone again.  You may well get a few days of withdrawal bleed after finishing the progesterone phase. You can do this sequential regime till you next see your gynae to discuss trying a different progesterone.
Doing this will allow your body to adjust to the oestrogen and will also allow you to see whether it's the progesterone making you feel awful or whether you just feel awful on any hormones. 
From what you have been telling us - you should be able to take your last progesterone tablet either today or tomorrow and then have 2-3 weeks with no progesterone.  I suspect you may find you feel better when you are just on one pump of Oestrogel per day.  DG x

Hope that helps.  Do make an appointment with you gynae as soon as possible to discuss further.

warwick01

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »

Hi Donna - Paul

Northisterone is the strongest progesterone. I used 3 pumps of gel per day and 2.5 northisterone 7 days every 5 weeks. Worked fine for me, had a good bleed no build up.

Wx

Donna-paul

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »

It's 5mg I'm taking I've started spotting today. I definitely feel worse since starting progestrone got all the worse symptoms . Tearful and skin and hair iffy and aniexty coming back which went just on oestrogen. I will stop progestrone after Xmas day and get advice in new year. I wondering if it was only 1mg I might have tolerated it better?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »

1mg Norethesterone would be far too low a dose to be effective. A different type of progesterone might suit you better eg Provera.  Stick with the dose you have been prescribed. If you have started spotting this may be because you took half a dose for a few days. If you have done 12 days of progesterone, then simply stop, have a proper bleed and then start the progesterone again in 2-3 weeks. On a sequi regime you should really use 10mg Norithesterone  for 12 days each month, so you are already in a half dose. DG x

Donna-paul

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »

I'm really confused now having conflicting advice from 2 different people don't know what to think. I will have to talk to my gp and gynecolgist  in the new year. All I wanted to know his what's the minimum norethisterone  I can take and shortest time I've been given different advice!

Mary G

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »

Donna-paul, when I was struggling badly with norethisterone, I was told I could take 2.5mg for 7 days and it worked very well for me, I got a very heavy bleed and good clearance.  It is a very strong and effective form of progesterone.  One month, I took just one 5mg tablet and had to give up because of a really bad migraine and I still had a heavy bleed. 

I think you need a review and to consider changing to a different progesterone. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »

Donna-Paul - I am really sorry that we are confusing you - I have made a mistake.   I do get mixed up about the different doses and the difference between mg and mcg etc.  I had mixed up the different progesterones - it's Dydrogesterone that is meant to be 10 mg per day.

Do look under TREATMENTS on this site:https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php.

I am baffled as to why you have been given such a high dose of Norethisterone  - is it really 5mg per day? Your gynae should have known that this progesterone is more likely to cause problems!!!!

1mg Norethisterone seems to be the standard dose per day for both sequential and conti HRT and as this is the most powerful type of progesterone and is also the most likely to give PMT type symptoms.!!!  If you look at most of the combined sequential HRT types, 12-14 days of progesterone are the standard amount of days needed for a sequential regime.

I still think you need a different progesterone.  Here is the page on this site that shows alternative progesterones you could try:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Sorry again for the confusion.  DG x

Donna-paul

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »

Just couple of question wonder if anyone can answer. My Gp said I've got to take either 5mg norethisterone for 7 days or 2.5 for 12 days. I'm really struggling with it took it for 10 days and awful stomach cramps and pmt symptoms I notice a couple of you replied and said you only take 2.5 for 7 days is this enough? Also when you take last progestrone what's the minimum amount of days can you have free before you have to take again. This is all new to me so want to try and persevere and get it the best I can tolerate. Also when I picked the second lot of estrogel up it's different and called oestrodose does it make a difference.
Pages: 1 [2]