Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Soon to start HRT but feeling anxious  (Read 567 times)

Tashw72

Soon to start HRT but feeling anxious
« on: May 26, 2021, 06:27:58 AM »

Hi everyone, newbie here.

Finally plucked up the courage to speak to the doctor about starting HRT and after initially feeling pleased that I actually got a positive response I am now DREADING starting the tablets. 

I have been prescribed Elleste Duet 1mg and have failed to find any positive feedback anywhere on the 'net about this from other users. I have always suffered hugely from PMT, bloating, incredibly painful periods, terrible mood etc and all I seem to read is that the progesterone part of the cycle seems to result in similar symptoms.  I even gave up my job as period pain made it very difficult for 3/4 days per month (I have set up my own business working from home so every cloud....)

I am so worried about starting it.  Is there ANYONE out there with a positive tale to tell about this treatment? Surely it must be the right treatment for some? I am happy to take tablets as I swim regularly at lunchtimes so thought perhaps gels, patches etc might not be practical.

Perinowpost

Re: Soon to start HRT but feeling anxious
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:01:58 AM »

It’s one of the cheapest so quite often offered first. You could try it and see if you like it. If you don’t then go back and ask to switch. Gels and patches won’t be affected by swimming, and they’re in a class of their own. Wishing you luck x

Lamplighter

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:00:32 AM »

Hi Tashw72, I wish I could say something positive to reassure, but have to admit that having used Elleste Duet Conti 2mg for three months (in between other sorts of HRT) I found that while it addressed some postmenopausal issues, it wasn't that great.  Hot flushes diminished but still continued and incontinence wasn't really fixed.  Also it had a side effect of making me feel really wired at night - tinnitus through the roof and elevated heart rate (partially fixed that by taking it at night). 

Having said all that, Perinowpost makes a good point in that it's certainly worth trying and if it doesn't agree with you, ask to switch (it's not as straightforward as you might suppose with this HRT lark, you'd think HRT is HRT but different sorts have entirely different effects).  Also, the whole HRT thing is very individual, what works for one woman doesn't for another and it may well work for you.

No harm in trying, and it's got to be better than suffering menopausal symptoms with no reilef.

Best of luck

LL xx

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 12:19:10 PM »

I didn’t like it either and soon switched to patches. Maybe give it a month and see how you feel. Lot’s advise sticking with a regime for 3 months, but through my own experience I wouldn’t stay on anything disagreeing with me any longer than a month x