Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Feeling desperate on ADs  (Read 8250 times)

racjen

Feeling desperate on ADs
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »

Feel like I've spent the last 3 days crying solidly; does anyone else find that ADs make them feel so much worse they just can't stick them? I've been on a low dose of amitryptiline for nearly 3 weeks, to try and control the horrendous anxiety I've been getting on waking. It seemed to help at first but that effect soon wore off and I've been feeling more and more depressed, until today I've got to the point where I feel like throwing myself under a bus. I wasn't even depressed before I started taking them, just anxious. I've now been given propranolol to try instead, but I'm really fed up of being treated like I'm just depressed and anxious when it's hormones that are the problem. Is it just a case of getting estrogen high enough to alleviate the anxiety, in which case I just have to ride it out for however long it takes, or is there something else I'm missing?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling desperate on ADs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »

What symptoms did you speak to your GP about?

Anxiety needs treatment with appropriate anti-anxiety medication.  Depression needs appropriate anti-depressant medication.  In 2002 I was given Propranolol 80mg daily for 3 months then it was cut after 4 weeks to 40mg daily.  I have taken it successfully for a while.  Background headaches became a problem so I dropped it to 20mg at night.  I also have an emergency anti-anxiety med when I feel really ill which takes about 40 mins. to kick in.

Depression is treated with different medication.  Since 1988.  If my brain gets low for more than 3 mornings in a row, I up the dosage for 5-6 days.  My GP is OK with this.  The brain is an organ, often forgotten  ::)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:21:06 PM by CLKD »

racjen

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »

Good question - felt like I wasn't really being listened to properly today, had to keep repeating that I need something for anxiety NOT depression, and that ADs make me depressed so I don't want to try any more of them. I already have diazepam which I'm using occasionally when it really does get too much, but have now got a prescription for propranolol 40mg once a day so will try that tonight.

I find that most GPs see depression and anxiety as the same illness and just throw ADs at them randomly. Thanks for your input CKLD, I sometimes wonder why I bother with my GP at all...

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »

Maybe have a chat with the Practice Nurse?  Is there a local MIND walk-in session in your area, I found them really helpful 2 years ago.  I sent e-mails to our local Group to find out when they were open and felt really supported.

Anxiety and depression are SO different. I know, I've been there  :'(  :-\ ....... fortunately my GP has been supportive all the way.

Maybe ask your local Pharmacist for advice on what is available so that you can go to your GP with more knowledge?

racjen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »

That's really useful advice, thanks CLKD. i find that dealing with relentless anxiety really gets me down and that's then jumped on by health professionals as the main problem, not the anxiety itself. I'll try your suggestions.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 09:22:26 PM »

Did U try the Propranolol yet?  It really can be Trial and Error at a time when we are less emotionally able to deal with it all  >:(

racjen

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 04:41:31 PM »

Yes, I've tried it for the last couple of mornings and it had absolutely no effect whatsoever. First the 40mg as I was prescribed, second time put it up to 80mg as the GP said I could have it up to 3 times a day. Still nothing. Am I right in thinking it's not cumulative like ADs, so if it's going to work it'll work pretty much immediately, not take days or weeks to build up? So disappointed I had a complete meltdown today and spent all morning crying - just don't think I can take much more. There must be something that'll work....mustn't there? My mum just suggested hypnotherapy - I'm so desperate I might give it a go. Thanks for asking CKLD x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 04:49:43 PM »

I have no idea as to how long various meds take to work.  Years ago I was told that ADs take 10-14 days to give benefit, however, I began to feel better within 3 days. 

When is your worst time, for me it's mornings.  Which is why I took the 80mg at night initially to stop that awful early morning anxiety surge. Then it was dropped to 40mg which 12 month's ago I split into 20mg morning and night.  Now I take 20mg at night which suits me.

........ and breath.  Let the medication do the work.  Have you tried relaxation therapy? i.e. starting at the toes - tighten for a few moments then relax.  Working through the muscles groups all the way up the body ......... stretch, hold, relax.  Focussing the mind totally on that muscle group ......... if in the New Year the BB doesn't have effect then ask your GP for an 'as necessary' emergency medication.

Hypnotherapy can work but I was told that I am not a suitable candidate.  Let the medication have a chance?

racjen

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »

Yes my worst time is mornings - in fact it's only mornings, starts on waking, peaks after maybe an hour and then gradually drains away until by early afternoon I'm usually feeling fine again. Nothing like relaxation, mindfulness etc. helps - when it's there it's there and it's bloody well staying...

I know ADs can take weeks to build up to full strength, but I think BBs are different, more like diazepam ie they should work within 20 - 30 mins. But I'll try taking them at night and see if that makes any difference - thanks for that idea. And when you say "emergency medication" do you mean benzodiazapenes or something different? I already have diazepam, but in my experience my tolerance builds up very quickly and I end up having to take more and more to get the same effect. If there's anything else out there I'll happily give it a go x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »

Because I know that Valium and the one which I take 'as necessary' work, I have never needed to take more than recommended.

I have also used Bach's Rescue Remedy .......... there are pastilles, mouth spray ...... once I use it I never think 'has it worked'. 

Relaxation works if one practices !  Finding time to practice was my difficulty.  If I sat down long enough I soon had a small  :catscratch: on my lap and we fell to sleep  ;D.  One HAS to practice.  Taking time is the first hurdle.  Then remembering to do the exercises.  It will work if one puts time into practicing, as with most things: liked or not ...... remember those Times Tables?

Cortisol is the waking hormone which can cause anxiety surges in the early mornings.  How is your diet over-all?

racjen

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 07:54:34 PM »

My diet is excellent - having been through cancer I've completely overhauled it and eat masses of organic veg and fruit, very little sugar, minimum of alcohol and caffeine. None of this makes any difference to the anxiety. I think anxiety is the wrong word - intense fear and dread would be better words. Whilst I take your points about relaxation I have to say that I think your anxiety is different in nature, you've been very open about the fact that you've suffered from it for most of your life. Mine is most definitely hormonally driven - I've only had this once before when peri-menopausal and now when suddenly menopausal, and it has a very very distinct quality to it. It doesn't respond to any kind of behavioural modification, it has a very regular timetable and while it lasts it is incredibly intense. Something quite dramatic is going on in my brain and something quite dramatic needs to happen to turn it off.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »

I would wake around 4.30 a.m. every morning in deep, pre-hensile fear  :'( filled with dread.   :'(.  I didn't think that I would survive ......

HRT may ease symptoms 4 U, but again, it can be Trial and Error finding an HRT which works without causing other side effects.  Do you keep a diary to see if there is a pattern?  Knowing what causes my anxiety and depression doesn't help me fight the feelings ...... once they hit I have to take medication.

It took hours to shake these feelings, as the day went by I would improve.  As I worked through my commitments I would feel better, by evening I was a different person.  I had to not say 'yes' to anything in the evenings because by early morning, that fear and dread were back.  It took months of ADs and BBs to ease the symptoms and it's early morning that catches me unawares even now. 

racjen

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »

There's no pattern, it's exactly the same every morning and has been for the last 3 or 4 weeks, since I restarted utrogestan. The anxiety began the morning after I took it, continued even after I tried switching to levonorgestrel and has continued even though I'm not taking any kind of progestin at the moment. No discernible trigger in terms of outside events or things I'm worried about.

I know exactly what you mean about not taking things on in the evenings when you feel OK - I frequently go to bed really feeling like I'm going to be fine in the morning, that I'll wake up and feel completely normal. Then when I don't and the whole thing starts again I feel like just giving up and hiding under the covers (except that that wouldn't make any difference as the fear and dread would be in there with  me). I often just have to get up very early and go for a walk as I can't be still when it's really bad, and being outside helps.

Yammy1

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »

Hi racjen, I am five weeks on ads, (citalopram 10mg) and I have to say they made my anxiety 100 times worse the first few weeks. I still have morning anxiety but it's becoming bearable now, I was told it can take two to three months to fully feel the benefit. I'm not better but I'm getting there. I was able to go Christmas shopping last week, before that I wouldn't leave the house. Give the ads time, like you when I tried hrt my anxiety went off the scale. I just feel some women cope brilliant with  hrt, while others need ads to get through this awful meno. Hope you feel better soon x

racjen

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »

Sadly this experience has reminded me that ADs just aren't an option for me - if I stayed on amitryptiline any longer I think I'd become a danger to myself. I recognise this feeling from the 8 or 9 different ones I've tried in the past - a really really desperate depression which is like nothing else I've experienced. Citalopram was the first one I tried and possibly the worst, I think they really really aren't a good idea for me.
Pages: [1] 2