Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Thinking of starting HRT  (Read 2004 times)

Alihughes

Thinking of starting HRT
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »

HI I am new to this forum - i have been feeling very up and down emotionally also suffering from insomnia and weight gain round the belly.  I seem to have put on a stone since february (my dad died) but I am a very fit and healthy person - 3 or 4 times to the gym a week and daily dog walks.  Also very healthy diet - obviously a few treats and a glass of wine here and there.  The last few months I have been very emotional - tearful, angry etc and these moods can change in seconds!! They are obvs a few issues with losing my Dad but the main emotions are coming from the menopause I believe.  So I have been considering HRT - am 54 and haven't had a period for 2 years ish....Have coped ok with symptoms but recently just feel weighed down by it all and very tired from lack of good sleep.

Would welcome any comments - I have always been one to try to solve things naturally but should I just give the HRT a go?

Dotty

Re: Thinking of starting HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:26:50 PM »

Yes.....I've just started HRT . I'm 53 and 3 years post menopause.  I waited till my symptoms got really bad (partly because I didn't realise they were menopausal symptoms) and would urge anyone to do it as soon as they feel the symptoms.

Alihughes

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »

Also would like some advice on the different types of HRT - dont want to have a period again .....and dont want to try one that will put more weight gain on!

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:54:45 PM »

Hi you need a continuous regime (conti) . those are for post menopausal women who haven't had a period for a year.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »

Hi Alihughes

:welcomemm:

Yes good advice from Dotty - best to start as soon as possible after menopause rather than wait. I started around your age although I was still late peri - and have been on it for 10 years +.  I haven't looked back! All the types for post-menopause ( the no-bleed types) are here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php Alternatively you can use oestrogen patches or gel with separate progesterone or even have a Mirena coil fitted which will also protect the lining.

I gather that some women find that some of the synthetic progestogens can cause bloating and I would suggest that continuous progestogens ( as in continuous combiend HRT) may cause this is susceptible women? However it is always possible to keep weight down ( thyroid issues aside) - even though difficult the older you get!

Hurdity x

Alihughes

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »

Thanks for the advice - am going to the docs tomorrow to find out what hrt would be best for me - literally so tired but cannot sleep through the night - hoping this will improve along with my libido which has got up and left!  Thank goodnes for a loving and caring husband...I know I am lucky

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »

Hurdity going by Dottys comment about needing a continous regime if post menopausal, why is this? I am on a cyclical hrt with a bleed every month, is it necessary to go conti at some stage or can one stay long term on the cyclical pattern?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »

No it's not necessary to go onto a conti regime - it's just that Alihughes mentioned she did not want to have a period again, so Dotty's comment was made in that context.

As you know several of us opt to remain on a cycle indefinitely. In terms of risk though - there is an established increased risk of endometrial cancer for women on continuous combined regimes - but the risk is very small and will depend on the progestogen dose and duration. From what I recall the risk of endometrial cancer on continuous combined HRT regimes is actually lower than if not on HRT at all - which would stand to reason really. Women not on HRT may well get thickening from their own oestrogen post-menopause - before the womb becomes less responsive or if ovarian activity continues more actively after menopause but not enough to stimulate ovulation - so the lining might build up unnoticed.

On the other hand there is an association between progestogen use and breast cancer although a casual link has not been established and also may be very specific to some of the synthetic progestogens.

So - it's weighing up the potential (small) risks of one cancer vs another, compared with symptoms and side effects, as well as other individual risk factors (being too fat, drinking too much alcohol, smoking, poor diet, insufficient exercise etc).

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »

Thankyou.  :)

Alihughes

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »

Just to let you all know I started taking the FemSeven Conti since last Thursday and I would say if feel so much better - mood swings have faded and I feel more positive than I have for a while.  Also sleeping a bit better and thus have more energy..No downsides at all I would say  :D

JJ65

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »

Ali good youre feeling better have switched to evorel 50 combined today am sat on sofa crying feel so desperate and tired from no sleep and really heavy period practically makes me sick to kiss partner god that would hurt him so much feel like a terrible person. Having palpitations chest pounding hope these patches work for me had such bad pmt on femoston
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:24:46 AM by JJ65 »

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 06:00:21 PM »

Wow Alihughes - that's great news. You may still have some ups and downs but hopefully the ups will outnumber the downs - so try to keep positive now that you are feeling much better already! Long may it last :)

Hurdity x

JJ65

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 06:58:34 AM »

Just wondering why im not getting replies ?