Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Tibulone  (Read 1306 times)

Harricat

Tibulone
« on: December 12, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »

Hi everyone I hope someone out there can help me with this problem.
I had a full hysterectomy in 1997 and was prescribed Hormonin which didn't suit me,so then I was prescribed Tibulone 5mg per day and I have been on this ever since with no side affects at all.
I had regular checkups when I was due for my repeat prescription and everything was fine and has remained exactly the same all the way.
Last October 2016 I had to see a doctor instead of the practise nurse as I forgot to book at that time and only had 2 left, so off I went. To my surprise I was told that I had to reduce the tibulone to 2.5mg
Per day with a view of coming off it I felt very strongly about this because my health was in no way suffering. The doctor gave me the benefit of the doubt on this occasion but she insisted that from there on in I had to see her. I did say to her that I wanted to remain on this hrt and was willing to sign a disclaimer for my bodily responsibilities.
Out of pure respect of the doctor After getting my prescription I tried what she suggested. After approximately a week I went downhill terribly felt depressed,tired,and lifeless, so I ignored what the doctor suggested and resumed 5mg a day. The difference was amazing now I was back to my normal healthy happy self.
In February 2017 I went to the practice nurse for my repeat prescription and she saw the notes from my previous appointment with the doctor and although the nurse got my prescription signed off by the doctor who I had seen previously it is now cast in stone that I have to see the doctor and the nurse also said that the doctor would be referring me to the gynaecologist at the hospital.
I got a appointment at the hospital for blood tests to be done and then waited a short time for my appointment to see the consultant for the results.
On the 2nd August 2017 I went for the consultation and results of whatever blood tests were taken and from what the consultant said my blood tests were fine. During my consultation I was shocked to be told that Tibulone was a failed trial and that the consultant had not prescribed it for 15 years.
I feel so devastated and confused as to why it has taken almost 20 years for this to come out, I have never suffered throughout these years,prescriptions always given no issues or problems. Now I am being told I have to come off it, yet it is the best thing for me. If there is anyone out there in the same situation I would love to shared.

Hurdity

Re: Tibulone
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »

Hi Harricat

:welcomemm:

Is Tibulone the same as Tibolone? If so then it is available and has been for many years - but only as a 2.5 mg dose. The trials were originally with various doses (inlcuding 5 mg) but I can't remember why the 5 mg dose was rejected and for some reason I can't find all my bookmarks for this type of HRT. I'm pretty sure one reason was due to bleeding and endometrial thickening - but that doesn't apply in your case. It also depends on your age to some extent - ie the same risks as with any oral HRT. However although this dose isn't licensed but is what you need to feel well then hopefully you might be able to persuade the docs to let you continue (depending on your age and any other risk factors). Could you try alternating 2.5 mg with 5 mg and see how you feel on what would be 3/4 of the dose?

Hurdity x