Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Femoston - safety concerns  (Read 5344 times)

thecat1227

Femoston - safety concerns
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »

I have just been prescribed Femoston 2/10 for a trial period of three months. I will take estradiol only (pills) for 14 days, and then a pill combining estradiol and dydrogesterone for the next 14 days. At the end of the 28-day-period, a bleeding will usually occur. In other words: I will take estradiol every day without a break, and dydrogesterone for 14 days a month.

I have been suffering from terrible peri-menopausal symptoms lately, the most debilitating ones being hot flushes and night sweats. Some nights, I wake up every hour, drenched in sweat, and wake up more exhausted than when I went to bed. I will turn 49 in a month. My periods were regular but heavy until August this year, when they started coming more often (every three weeks), but they are now much lighter than before, and only last 2-3 days (as opposed to 6-7 days until this summer).

I read that it can take up to six weeks until you notice the full effects of Femoston, but I have to say that I notice remarkable improvement after less than a week. I am now able get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night, and my daytime hot flushes are practically gone.

However, it seems estradiol creams or patches, along with Utrogestan, are considered a safer form of HRT...?

I would be very grateful for any input from others having used Femoston, or having switched to another form of HRT...the one thing I could not stand would be going back to how it was before Femoston, but I also want to make sure the drugs I take are safe for long-term use as I expect to be on them for quite some time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Femoston - safety concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »

:welcomemm:

KatieLiz

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »

I've been taking Femoston for nearly 5 years now.  Started with 1/10 for 6 mths then upped to 2/10.  I tried cutting back to 1/10 after a couple of years but after 4 mths went back to 2/10. 

Then thought i should be on conti as i was then 55 years old but doctor suggested i go back to 1/10 to see how I got on.  I lasted 7 mths but then went back up to 2/10.

I'm still debating whether to try conti  as I'm now 57 but this is only available as 1/5mg

Femoston was the 1st hrt I tried and I would say it's been very successful.  I started having increased pms symptoms just after I turned 50 and after reading on here I was glad this was prescribed for me.

I haven't had flushes as I started hrt before these happened but i know i would feel awful without taking it.

Everyone has a different journey but I knew after I took the 1st tablet it was the right decision - maybe it was psychological but i certainty felt less tense!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »

Hi thecat1227

:welcomemm: from me too.

Really you are on the safest form of tablet HRT - because it is estradiol (bio-identical) and dydrogesterone (very close in structure to our own progesterone). Gynaecologoists consider this to be the safest synthetic progestogen in terms of breast cancer risk (there have been studies). Although in the long term tablet HRT may have a greater stroke/cardiovascular risk than transdermal HRT, in practice the stroke risks don't really kick in until you are over 60, and other risks probably realted to the length of time taking HRT and in relation to age.

You are still young - and not yet at the natural age of menopause (51/52) and the years until this age don't count in terms of risk anyway.

If you look at the info on this website you will see that below the age of 60 anyway the benefits of taking HRT outweigh the risks if you are experiencing symptoms, and between 60 and 70 they are about the same.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

As always lifestyle factors probably play a much more important part in your overall health than HRT and also how these factors interact with HRT - the most important being body weight (keeping this to within healthy BMI limits), alcohol consumption (keep within Dept of Health limits) smoking ( don't!), exercise ( do more of this), diet ( healthy - variety of fruit and veg, lean protein, healthy fats, nuts, fish , yogurt, beans, pulses, complex carbs, as well as cutting out sugars, refined carbs and processed foods).

Glad you are feeling better on this combo and hope this might allay your fears so that you can get on and enjoy life again :)

Hurdity x

Nairn

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »

Hi, I've had Femonston 2/10 for 3 years now and it's been amazing for me - before it my life was miserable.  I had tried loads of other solutions both natural and HRT.   I noticed a positive difference in 4 days - however I would say that some days the symptoms are higher than others you will get days where it's just rubbish - I find that Femonston generally smooths things out but you do get a peak of symptoms, and mine are worse when I'm on the progesterone part of the packet.

In terms of sleep it is a huge help, but there is still other life stuff going on and the worry of taking HRT can keep you awake in itself!  My view is that my life was miserable without it and is much better with it and for me that outweighs the risks.  I also take a good multivitamin, magnesium and solar  b complex - which helps with the sleep.

It will take a while to fully kick in and I still get the occasional hot flush and sleepless night, but I've changed to a super light feather quilt which is warm but not heavy and I don't wear a nightie - that helps a lot to regulate .

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:52:27 AM »

I don't take Femoston but take Elleste Duet Conti. I have been told it could take 3 months to see full effects.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:06:08 AM »

Hi thecat1227 - I think you are worrying unduly. If there were specific safety concerns about Femoston as opposed to other HRT types then these would be detailed in the prescribing information. My comments on safety of HRT at different ages in my post in reply to your original one still stand. If you are feeling better then that's great - just keep on keeping on with it! No amount of personal experiences can replace scientifically conducted trials - and there will be women who have been on this for years - just a bit of a busy time of year if you are wondering about responses!

As for other forums - heavens - it takes most of any spare time trying unsuccessfully keeping up with this forum let alone looking at another one. Also it's not appropriate to carry over a discussion from one to another nor comment - each one has its own style. If there is something specific about Femoston or long term side effects you would like help with then please articulate here and we will try to help - but I think you are worrying too much!

Hurdity x