Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes  (Read 1841 times)

Hot flushes
« on: December 09, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »

Hi ladies when having hot flushes can they make you feel waffy and off balance,been having a few like this lately have to sit  till it passes,then build it up and then panic about it happening again thanks ladies for listening xx  :o :o any feed back gladly appreciated  ;D

Taz2

Re: Hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »

Yes mine were like that. I would start off with a sudden feeling of doom as if everything was hopeless quickly followed by a slight off balance/a little bit nauseous or as if I might need to find the loo quickly sensation. My heart rate would then increase quickly and I would feel as if I couldn't quite get my breath before the heat began to rise. Horrible feeling but it became easier as I got used to what to expect and that made me less panicky. Mine lasted around five minutes from start to finish and happened every twenty minutes. Not enough time to dry out between flushes/sweats!

Taz x

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »

Thankyou tax yes very much like that horrible feeling. Iam 4 years post menopause. Can't take hrt because of high blood pressure. Stops me from doing things thankyou for your reply 😘

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »

High blood pressure shouldn't stop you taking hrt.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »

I'll find out about that thanks dotty,do you still have to go through the menopause when you stop it?? Thanks ladies xx
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »

Sorry previously meant to say taz hit the wrong key xxx

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »

That's ok !

There is an earlier thread about HRT and high blood pressure. Is yours controlled by medication? https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=37075.0

As for going through the menopause once you come off HRT - some women find their symptoms return when they stop which can put some women off HRT but there are also women who didn't use HRT whose symptoms carry on for many years and who still experience hot sweats into their seventies and eighties. Others stop and don't get a return of symptoms. Mine returned and I am happy to take HRT for as long as I need it. I am 63 now and have been on it, almost continuously, for ten years. The benefits I feel I gain from it, especially in relation to vaginal, bladder and pelvic floor comfort are immeasurable. It is a personal decision. I have a friend who is 77 and still has hot flushes and sweats every hour. She last had a sexual relationship with her husband fifteen years ago but had to stop due to increased pain and recurrent bladder infections. She now knows that lack of oestrogen was to blame. Her GP feels that at her age it is too late to start on HRT but she says if she knew then that menopausal symptoms could go on for the rest of her life she would have pushed for HRT harder. It can be really difficult to know what to do.

Taz x  :)

louby48

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 07:25:21 PM »

I have high blood pressure and have been on HRT for 3 months now. It's made a total difference to my life.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »

Thankyou ladies going to have a read up on hrt xx I am 56 and can't think of being like this for another 20 yrs. xx marvellous site this is it is lovely to be able to help and comfort each other thankyou xxx
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 06:40:26 PM »

Yes taz bp controlled by low dose of medication. Going to pluck up and make an  appointment hate feeling like this thankyou taz xx

wombat62

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »

Feeling hot is one thing but when you get all the other c&8$ with it...yuk! Wonder why you get the other stuff, the doom, feeling weird etc?

Are there any scientists actually doing any work on the mystery of the hot flush? Seeing as it affects half the population for a good third of their lifetimes it would be nice if someone got to the bottom of them and might find some assistance other than having to continue to take hormones!

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 07:56:51 PM »

Does anyone else suffer with a bit of Lightheadeness off balance with there hot flush that sees them also running to the loo. And if you go on hrt does it stop these feeling please thankyou ladies xxxxxx

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08:17 PM »

Yes HRT stopped the flushes for me which also stopped the other symptoms you mention. I believe that it's the increase in adrenaline accompanying the flushes which puts up the heart rate and gives that needing to rush to the loo feeling.

Taz xx :)
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »

Thank you taz xx