Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT  (Read 1310 times)

aspie65

Coming off HRT
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »

I have been coming off HRT very slowly, missing a pill a fortnight on average.  Last month I missed three progesterone pills out of  a possible 12 but had no period.  I am surprised that missing just a quarter of my dosage would elicit this response and just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.

Dancinggirl

Re: Coming off HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »

Why are you coming off HRT?  Which HRT are you using? If you don't use enough progesterone, then an appropriate withdrawal bleed may not be triggered - this could result in a build up in the womb lining. Only reduce the oestrogen until you stop completely (maybe take oestrogen every other day?) - you may find the bleeds stop when your have greatly reduced the oestrogen.
Missing one pill per fortnight is not actually reducing the HRT.  There is no real evidence that gradually reducing the dose will make any real difference but some women choose to reduce the daily dose of oestrogen over a few months in the hope the meno symptoms won't return too quickly.  It sounds as though you are on a sequential HRT?  If so, I really wouldn't reduce the progesterone phase - this might allow the womb lining to build. Reducing the oestrogen gradually would be the thing to do if you really want to. If you can get a lower dose HRT prescription from the GP to use for the next 3-6 months before stopping altogether, then this could be better.

If HRT is giving you quality of life - then why stop? Unless you are over 60 or have health issues that make you at higher risk when on HRT, then there really is no reason to stop HRt.  It's about benefits versus side effects - the risks are very small.   DG x

aspie65

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »

Thanks for the advice about the womb lining building up.  I am coming off HRT because they have stopped making my particular kind (Prempak C) and there is nothing similar available.  I thought I'd come off to see if I was okay without it (been on it 5 years now) and to see if my periods had stopped so I could at least change to the non cyclical type if I wanted to go back on HRT.  I was just suprised that a quarter less progesterone would lead to no period.  For next month I think I'll just stop and see what happens. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »

If you are simply ‘taking a break' then I would simply stop  the HRT and see how you feel - you may be fine.
 I've tried reducing slowly and going cold turkey - there was no difference as symptoms just returned either way.   
Prempac is an old fashioned HRT and there are now better and safer HRTs around.  Conti HRTs don't always suit women as taking progesterone all the time can cause more side effects. Let us know how you get on - do look under the TREATMENTS section to get clued up on your options.
DG x

aspie65

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »

:)