Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mirena Coil and estrogel  (Read 14966 times)

racjen

Re: Mirena Coil and estrogel
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »

Hello Mindfulmoomins

I just wanted to tell you that I also get horrible anxiety when on progesterone - have tried utrogestan and levonorgestrel and both had this effect, but not until a couple of months in, I think it takes that long to build up in your system and start causing problems. I also share your worries about whether the mood stuff is hormonal rather than 'just' depression as I've also suffered from this before, but the more I find out about menopause and HRT the more I'm convinced that, for me, it is down to hormones. Estrogen has definitely had a positive effect on my mood, now like you I have to find a solution to the progesterone problem...the best advice I can give you is find someone who really knows what they're talking about to advise you, cos it's mind-blowingly complicated! x

Mindfulmoomins

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »

Kathleen and Racjen, thank you. It is so good to know I am not alone in this. I think I am going to ask for a referral to a menopause clinic as this stuff is all very complicated.
I almost wish I could meet some of you as your kindness and support is so valuable.
A friend of mine's sister set up ‘menopause cafes' in Scotland which have proved very popular I believe! Sounds like a wonderful idea.
X

racjen

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »

I ended up going private, much against my principles and can't really afford it, but there's no longer an NHS menopause clinic in Devon/Cornwall and couldn't face the wait to see anyone else. Glad I did as otherwise I'd be struggling with antidepressants and CBT now - useless in this situation I think. Makes me so cross  >:( Menopause cafes sound a great idea - will think on that x

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »

Hi again Mindfulmoomins

Great news that your GP has consulted a menopause clinic without your having to wait for a referral which can take time!

Try not to anticipate problems! Yes your hormones are going haywire because of peri-menopause and yes norethisterone can cause pms type symptoms in some women and yes progesterone itself can also cause side effects in some women. The most important thing is that you end up feeling better overall on HRT than off it.

Also did you read the article on perimenopause - I often refer new members to it - very helpful: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Interesting about the menopause cafe. Might I suggest you start a new thread on this - does the menopause cafe have a website or Facebook page or is it attached to a particular surgery or town? I am sure that other members reading on here who live in those areas in Scotland might find it useful and their attention will be drawn to it if there is a separate posting. Don't give out any personal information but a link if there is one would be helpful! There was a former member on here - Tempest who wanted to get a Meet-up group going through this website but it was difficult to get off the ground - and of course has to be done by firstly asking and then by pm - if members are interested. It's such a great idea and women often say something along the lines - "if I lived nearer I would love to meet up for a coffee ..." etc).

Anyway I do hope that this new regime makes you feel better overall and please let us know how you get on.

Hurdity x

Mindfulmoomins

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,
I will ask my friend more about the menopause cafe and find out if there are any links I could post.

I most definitely have not felt better on Evorel Sequi 50 (although I did in the first month). I am currently not at work due to my symptoms and was always able to work before.

I am just praying that some of the current symptoms recede so I can manage and feel better. I also hope the new regime of estrogel and utrogestan works better.

I just want some quality if life back.

Katia

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »

Hi Mindfulmoomins, I hope the Utrogestan works for you. It seems to be love it or hate it t make me groggy and it did lower my mood. I switched and tried provera, which didn't make me groggy, or lower my mood. It didn't work for me as it made my hair shed, but it may work for you if the Utrogestan doesn't. There's lots of other options  :)

Mindfulmoomins

Re: Mirena Coil and estrogel - update new HRT prescription
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »

So I have been given estrogel 1 pump and ultrogestan tablets by my GP who spoke to a colleague who works in a menopause clinic. I am really hoping I can tolerate the latter.

The label on the ultrogestan says ‘insert two at night for last two weeks of month'. The GP specifically said they were for oral use (as in not licensed for that in this country although lots of women use them that way) so I am confused about how many to take orally.

I'll try and get hold of her again but can anyone help with the usual oral dose of utrogestan (and on what days) with one pump of Estrogel?

I would also just like to say a huge thank you to everyone on this forum and especially those that responded. It helped me so much as this has really been a tough couple of months.

I will be back here when I am taking the utrogestan in a week or so no doubt and might need my hand held a bit after my experience with norehistine! Obviously I am trying not to project but I am nervous.

X

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »

Hi Mindfulmoomins

re the label - did you specifically ask for vaginal progesterone and are you in UK? If your GP has prescribed it like this then that's great - but it's off licence. However research shows that MORE not LESS progesterone gets to the uterus when used vaginally compared the equivalent dose taken orally so just go ahead as instructed. The instructions for vaginal application on the printed material will usually only be with the 200 mg caspules used for fertility.

The licensed oral dose is the same as for vaginal - 200 mg for 12 days - and this is what you should start with (although personally I have never taken it orally - being nil-by-mouth when it comes to HRT!). Two weeks is not necessary as you will see here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php unless eg you have had problems with bleeding or fiborids etc which means that doc wants you to take a full two weeks?

Once you know how your uterus behaves under this regime you may be able to work with your doc to reduce the dose somewhat or lengthen your cycle (if you are post-menopausal or nearly so).

Good luck, try not to be nervous, don't anticipate problems and let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]