Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Given Evorel Sequi at 55 - suddenly thinking "oh no,periods for years!" Options?  (Read 1514 times)

Duncaf31

• First Flush

Hi. Hope I've put this in the right place.

Prescribed Evorel Sequi a month ago after suffering for years with aches, sleeplessness, terrible mood swings ....bit of flushing..

You know how it is during a ten minute consultation. I'd done my homework but she just said ...OK ..you're still having periods ...answer yes, if sporadic. Do you want pills or patches? ..I said patches...and I walked out with Evorel Sequi.

Didn't quite grasp that this meant periods for ages more...I've only had little ones every few months for the last couple of years. So now, back to heavy periods again! This has gone on over a week.

Since I thought I'd have to take this for five years, I'm now thinking " Hang on...I don't want periods at Sixty. I mean there has to be an up side to the Menopause."

Not sure what the options are and don't seem to get much time to chat it through.

Any insights would be appreciated. I quite liked the savings on Sanitary Products...

Thanks

Dancinggirl

Duncaf31 - welcome to MM

As you are still peri meno - so still having the occasional natural period - I'm afraid you do have to be on sequential HRT until you are post menopause. Post meno is at least one whole year without any natural bleeding.
Even when post meno, it is good to start on a sequi HRT as it gives you a chance to find out whether the progesterone in this HRt suits you or not. If you do well on this HRT patch, then in a couple of years when you have probably gone into post meno, you will be able to switch to continuous HRT which will usually result in no bleeds at all. 
If you would like a non bleed HRT regime now, then the only option would be to have a Mirena fitted and use oestrogen alongside as pills, patch or gel. This is very popular as it is a minimal hassle regime and reduces the risk of fibroids and other erratic bleeding problems that can occur with any HRT.  Once the Mirena is fitted, bleeding usually stops altogether after about 3-4 months, sometimes sooner, and you can use as little or as much oestrogen as you need to control flushes etc.
Do look under TREATMENTS on this site to get clued up on your options.  GPs are rarely up to speed on HRT and treating the meno, so it's best to go prepared.
If these patches are controlling your meno symptoms then that is great.  They are medium dose so it could be more likely to give heavier periods while you are peri meno.  Many women choose to put up with monthly periods and stay on sequential HRt well in to post meno, as using progesterone all the time can give more side effects.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:welcomemm:

Like you I would not want to go back to bleeding! but maybe consider what DG has suggested.  Perhaps keeping a mood/symptom/food diary might be useful to chart where you are as when we feel better we can forget  ::).

Browse round .......

Lanzalover

Hi Duncaf31

:welcomemm:  From me too.

Lanzalover x

Taz2

Hi Duncaf31. Good advice from dancinggirl. Although initial bleeds may be heavy and uncomfortable this usually resolves itself by the fourth month and in my case bleeds were then really light and short. I swapped back to sequi from conti at the age of 57 as I had constant bleeding on continue and didn't like progesterone every day.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Duncaf31

• First Flush

Thanks everyone. I thought that the best thing might be the Mirena thing but will take on board the need to let things settle a bit. I'm keeping a diary of symptoms during the month, and GP said to go back in three months. I will do that.

Unusually I was still Peri at 55 ... But with hindsight I realise I'd had regular periods, but terrible mood issues for many years. I suspect the anti depressants i was prescribed five years ago should have benn HRT ....but because I had regular period I didn't think about it and the GP did not either.

Many thanks for your help.
 :)