Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progesterone help before doctor visit!  (Read 1291 times)

wombat62

Progesterone help before doctor visit!
« on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »

Hello ladies

Just wondering if anyone has any view/opinions on progesterone before I go to the docs.

I'm currently on a combi patch but we are still having massive supply problems in Oz, they just keep pushing the supply dates further and further back. I'm on my last precious box and have been trying to make a patch last a week. I still have a couple of boxes left on my prescription but who knows if I'll get any before I run out  :'(

Last time the doc gave me a oestrogen patch and Noriday which is a POP norethisterone (half a tablet) and as I reported on here my boobs were so tender and it lasted a long time even when I swapped back to patches.

So, I really don't want to go down that route again and I had a word with the guy in the chemist who thought that was a bit strong! He recommended Provera which was a bit kinder.

Unfortunately we don't have as many options here (small market.... >:() so as far as I can see my options are:

oestrogen patch with provera or I found a micronised one called Prometrium which is only on private prescription but happy to pay if it's better for me!

We can get Duavine here as well.

I'd rather have patches as after the gallbladder saga I'm quite protective of my liver which is why the patches are sooooo good! But the one I'm on is the only one available here!

The other alternative is Femiston-conti which I was reading on another thread is pretty good but of course it's all pills but the progesterone part is good? Would a pill really affect my liver that much?

It's ridiculous as this has been going on for a year now, the chemist made me laugh as he said he has hordes of angry hormonal ladies demanding their patches!

So these are my only options, not great but any advice would be great before I go and get an alternative.

Thank you.....

Dancinggirl

Re: Progesterone help before doctor visit!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:56:22 PM »

Try the Provera - it suits many women very well.  If this one doesn't suit you, then try Prometrium (which is Utrogestan here in the UK) DG x

wombat62

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »

Thanks DG, will ask for that one first then! Although I really hope they get the patch supplies sorted!

:)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »

Hi wombat62

Someomne on here posted this recently - showing that 100 mg and 200 mg progesterone is now available in Oz - 100 mg as Prometrium and 200 mg Utrogestan - so should be available through your regular doctor now?

http://www.whria.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/HRT-Micronised-Progesterone-2016.pdf

Sorry I can't remember what dose patch you are on and where in menopause and whether you would take it vaginally or orally, cyclically or continuously!

I would always choose the bioidentical version if you can and if you don't have any particular problems, over the synthetic one ( Provera), and especially if you are not on a very high dose oestrogen.

Hurdity x

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Thanks for your note, I did mention Prometrium to the doc but she said it wasn't available but I have seen it listed on the chemist website, weird! The only thing it's available by private prescription only so is quite a bit more expensive. As I said we don't have as many choices here, we only have the one combi patch and the manfs are messing around with supply.

I'm well post but still having dips in oestrogen, I know when as night heat/flushes/sweats come back!

She did mention having the Mirena fitted long term as an alternative but I'm hoping that the patches will be back soon and I can continue with them! I'll try the Provera if I can't get any more patches, it's the lowest dose and I'll ask again about the other one next visit.