Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello, just introducing myself  (Read 1338 times)

Confused123

Hello, just introducing myself
« on: November 29, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »

A little about me, I've just turned 50 and I haven't had a period for 3 years. I started peri menopausal symptoms early 40's and went to my gp a few times with lots of different symptoms and he was not very helpful and said I was too young to be peri menopausal. I tried different herbal remedies the last few years which helped a bit as gp was useless. Since my periods have stopped I have been feeling slowly worse, to be honest I feel a mess. I have hot flushes, night sweats, insomnia, low mood, cry a lot, headaches, foggy brain, slow thought process, moodiness, fatigue, ibs is playing up and aching joints. I've joined a Pilates class as I broke my heel last year and I'm quite stiff and thought that might help a bit as I've read that exercise and diet can help with the symptoms of menopause.
After browsing on here for a few weeks I plucked up the courage to see a lady gp, she was a lot more sympathetic and I've been put on evorel conti patches which I started using Monday. I'm expecting it to take a few weeks to see any change and realise that I might need to try a few different hrts until I find one that works for me.

Taz2

Re: Hello, just introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 11:16:40 PM »

Hi Confused123.

Good to hear that you seem to have a sympathetic GP. I'm sure you'll begin to feel much better once the patches start to work. You may be lucky and find the right HRT first time round! Just to say that some women find the progesterone in Evorel gives them PMT type symptoms so if you do feel like that then you may wish to try a different type.

I'm sure you're going to fit right in here.

Taz  :welcomemm:

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 07:32:37 AM »

Hi Confused123

My problems have all got much worse 3 years post meno. I coped up till now but was hit by all the symptoms you describe about 3 months ago. I have been on hrt now for 6 weeks...... can't say I've seen a lot of improvement .

Confused123

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 09:23:40 AM »

Hi Taz, I've read on here that the progesterone in the patch doesn't suit a lot of women and so it has worried me a bit but to be honest the way I feel at the moment I'm willing to chance it and see how it goes. I've been started off on half a patch so I can check for side effects and then increase to full patch in a few weeks if it suits me. I do however seem to be having trouble getting the patch to stick and stay on as my first one started to peel off after a few hours so I ended up putting surgical tape over it to stop it peeling off. This morning I've tried cleaning the area with an alcohol wipe after my shower to see if that sticks better.

Dotty, it's no fun feeling like this is it? I feel like a different person at the moment and not much fun to be around. I lack motivation and don't want to do anything but I'm determined to find hrt that'll suit me so I can get on with life again. What hrt are you on? Has anything improved? Any side effects?

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »

Hi Confused123 I'm taking Elleste Duet Conti. I don't think I've got any side effects just don't seem to be seeing much improvement. The flushes have stopped during the day but am still getting them at night. I have no energy and am finding life very difficult as I am so ill x

Yahana

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »

Hi Confused 123 and Dotty,
I'm 56, 4 years post meno, and have had a lot of the same symptoms you describe which started 2 years after last period.  I started HRT and have been using it for a year and a half.  I am not perfect (not that I ever was...) but things have definitely improved overall.  It's kind of up and down, and you catch me at a pretty good moment.  Joint aches have mostly gone, brain is a lot better, as is fatigue.  Mood is still variable, but definitely better than two years ago.  The daytime flushes stopped almost immediately when I started hrt, but the night flushes have never really stopped - reduced, but I still wake every 2-3 hours feeling hot. 
I use the gel, two pushes, one in the morning and one at night and duphaston (I'm not in the UK).
Also, as you say, diet and exercise I think have helped a lot.  I walk a lot and eat pretty healthily.  Cut out sugar (mostly) two years ago on the advice of a wonderful acupuncturist (who helped with aching joints) as he said it would help with brain fog, and I think it has, together with the hrt, as fog has lifted a lot.
It's been a really slow, gradual process for me, and I'm not 100% better, but so much better than I was.
It really is a horrible time.  I hope you both find things that help and that you feel better soon.

Lanzalover

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »

Hi Confused 123

:welcomemm:

Hoping Evorel Conti works for you.