Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: More problems with progesterone  (Read 2424 times)

racjen

More problems with progesterone
« on: November 27, 2017, 04:16:07 PM »

Has anybody had an experience like this? I stopped taking Utrogestan due to bad side effects, switched to Levonorgestrel (FemSeven) to see if that was any better. Two days of acute anxiety, stomach ache, diarrhea and insomnia, followed by one day of zombie-like fatigue, and then the patch fell off and I couldn't bear to put on another. That was almost a week ago, and I'm still suffering from really horrible anxiety for several hours first thing in the morning, plus characteristic back ache & stomach ache that I only get with progesterone - it's as if my body thinks it's still on the stuff. I've just been to my GP and come away with a prescription for diazepam because I can't stand it any longer. What the hell is going on, can this still be withdrawal? Feeling really desperate... :'(

Hurdity

Re: More problems with progesterone
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:19:19 PM »

Sorry to hear you are suffering racjen. It is unlikely to be withdrawal after this length of time, unless you're waiting for a bleed? Maybe it's a bug causing you to feel like this - or perhaps your oestrogen dose is still too low - it may need to be much higher. Also sorry to hear you've had to have diazepam because you feel so bad - and I presume this is just on an occasional basis? I do understand that taken long term and regularly this can become addictive (other members on here have reported their diffculties with it and withdrawing from it). You do seem to having such a rough time but it does seem as though it could be hormonal do you think? I can't remember if you're also taking testosterone and also was it you who said your oestrogen levels were not very high even with a high dose patch? It is tricky isn't it - but I do hope you get some relief soon.

Hurdity x

racjen

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »

Hi Hurdity, as luck would have it I had a follow-up appointment booked with Dr. Gray in Plymouth yesterday. Arrived at her office a complete blubbering mess after realising half-way there I'd left my bag with money, cheque book etc. at home. She was brilliant - said it looks like I'm severely progesterone intolerant and that that would probably have been made worse by very low estrogen levels. She's upped my Evorel to 150 and also prescribed a very low dose of amitryptyline, which kind of resets the brain chemistry after the progesterone has messed it up (causing the really acute anxiety). This morning I already feel loads better, and relieved because I really didn't want to have to resort to diazepam, I became dependent on it when I had a perimenopausal episode like this 6 years ago - at that stage I had no idea what was behind it. So now giving the progesterone a break till after Christmas and trying not to think about what happens after that x

Katia

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:12:18 PM »

Racked, it's hard to find the right progesterone. I had no problems with the pill, but terrible problems with Utrogestan making me groggy, provera make my hair shed.  Levenergestrel I think would be just as bad, but the mini pill seems to be working for me.  It's really difficult to find the right one. Maybe once your estrogen levels come up it will be easier

racjen

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 09:38:15 PM »

I really hope so - I'm dreading having to try anything else :(

Nairn

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »

Hi there , I can sympathise - after years of being happily on the combined pill and lots of lovely oestrogen, I found I could not tolerate any mini pill and had a nightmare with HRT -so I'm now on Femonston 2/10 and it's much better - there is still progesterone in it but it's a low dose and seems to work for me.  still having a problem with vaginal soreness but the other symptoms are vastly improved - I'm afraid it's a case of trial and error until you find the right one for you. 

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »

Hi racjen - I hope you continue to feel better and try not to worry about what's to come! After all there is Chritsmas before that!!

Hurdity x

racjen

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thanks for your post. After that first day feeling better it's been a bit rocky - the anxiety is definitely lessening but now I'm starting to get the worsening depression ADs always cause in me initially. I'd hoped that on such a low dose it might not be the case this time, but I suspect I'm going to have to sit tight and let it get worse before it gets better. Felt absolutely dreadful this morning, sobbed for a good hour and then felt a bit better. Hopefully over the worst for today. There's no way I'm going to be able to work next week so that's another 2 weeks off - getting a bit worried as I had 8 months off last year for cancer treatment. Not even thinking about Christmas, feels like one pressure too much at the moment  :'(

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »

Hello racjen.

I just wanted to send hugs and sympathy.  Why do our hormones do this to us? It's so unfair!

I hope you feel better as the day goes on.

Wishing you well.

K.

racjen

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 10:52:46 AM »

Thanks so much for the support Kathleen. I felt better enough in the afternoon to make it out with my two lovely daughters to a National Trust house nearby which was all lit up for Christmas. So glad I did - it really lifted my spirits. Feeling a bit better today so i'm really hoping I'm over the worst for now and can start looking forward to Christmas!

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »

Hello racjen.

I totally get it! This morning I had some super intense flushes and felt virtually suicidal, as the day has gone on I am feeling better, almost normal. I truly hate this hormonal roller coaster ride.

Wishing you well and I hope the good times last.

K.