Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2532 times)

Catsjulieanne

Advice please
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »

Hi, I posted last week when I started Elleste Duet, I ended up going home sick from work on Thursday, within 2 days of taking it I wasn't just having hot flushes I was boiling, I felt unsafe driving, confused, mithered and had horrendous headaches.  So I have another appointment tomorrow to see the doctor.  Can anyone advise a good starter for HRT low dose, am thinking possibly just estrogen only?  Patch vs pill?  All advice appreciated.  Since stopping taking the Elleste Duet I am back to normal flushes (believe me preferable to the horrendous boiling flushes I had those 3 days of taking them) but I know I need HRT as I am lacking in what my body desperately needs.  Here's hoping you can advise the way to go x

Dotty

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:10:38 PM »

Kliovance is the same hormones but half the dose x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »

Make a note of when your last monthly period was
Eating, moods, symptoms in general
What you have experienced and which symptom you would like to ease first - take the list to your appt. and let us know?

Catsjulieanne

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »

Thanks, been period free for exactly 2 years so no tracking to be done.  I made a note when Kliovance was mentioned on my last post so I think I'll be asking for that.  Any other recommendations welcome x

Catsjulieanne

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »

Sorry sent too soon, I want relief from hot flushes, low mood, dryness, anxiety (I do take an anti depressant already).  I just want a really low dose to try, I think the Elleste was too much for me x

Catsjulieanne

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »

I'm googling Kliovance now and that's scaring me too!  I don't know what the best way to go forward is, the GP is quite clueless, he got the BMP book out to look up the HRT he gave me!  I would rather go in and specifically ask for one to try instead of him literally playing pin the tail on the donkey with the meds book.  Help!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »

Well dryness is common.  As the oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, eyes, vagina - so your GP should be able 2 prescribe either Vagifem or Ovestin1mg to be used 2 weeks nightly and then as necessary.  A good skin care regime can help as can being well hydrated which feeds the skin from the inside out.

Lack of oestrogen can cause laxity of muscles = aches and pains which can be treated with appropriate over-the-counter medication.  Speak to your local Pharmacist for the correct treatment, Paracetamol doesn't ease any aches for me.

It's OK to get 'the book' out, GPs are on a learning curve too.  Have a word with the surgery or look on their web-site to see if there are any GPs interested in womens' health, they will have extra qualifications, or is there a Prescribing Nurse to chat with; they also have special extra qualifications.

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »

Femoston seems to be a gentle hrt

Catsjulieanne

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »

Does the Ovesten help with other menopause symptoms such as hot flushes or just on the dryness (not been able to wear my contact lenses for 2 years with dry eyes) very dry skin, itching down below.

Catsjulieanne

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 05:07:40 PM »

Femoston might be the one to try, the Prempak I tried was OK other than it gave me a very slight bleed.  I just want to feel better! x

Marie62

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »

I've been on Elleste Duet Conti and Kliovance and neither agreed with me they stopped the flushes but I was hit with bad anxiety and depression on both those tablets it could have been my own hormones breaking through that caused it but it seemed a bit of a coincidence it started while on that type of hrt.
I too felt the dose was too high for me and wanted to try something with a lower dosage so after some research decided on Angeliq.
I've been on Angeliq now for nearly 5 months and apart from a bit of stomach problems in the first 10 days I'm feeling pretty good, my skin has never been softer and my hair is so shiny several people have commented on it. The progesterone in Angeliq seems to be a lot kinder to me than the one in Elleste and Kliovance was. The doctor hadn't really heard of Angeliq and had to look it up but was happy to prescribe it when I asked to try it. I'm hoping I will continue to feel good on it but we all know how quickly things can change during this nightmare that is menopause  ::)

Lanzalover

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »

Hi Catsjulieanne

Ovestin is used for vaginal and bladder problems so should help  with the itching down below it won't however help address your other symptoms for those you will need systemic HRT Femoston would be a good one to try as it contains one of the kinder progestogens. Have a look at the various treatment options which are shown under the green banner at the top of the page this may help you a little more with the various options you can try.

Good luck for tomorrow do let us know how you get on.

Lanzalover x

racjen

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »

If you're getting a lot of itching around your vulva and anus it's possible it could be lichen sclerosis - it's much more common in menopausal women and one of the main symptoms is itching. I went to my doctor thinking it was thrush that hadn't responded to the usual treatment, at that point had never heard of LS.  Important to get it checked because left untreated it can get a lot worse and (rarely) turn into cancer, and the treatment is really simple, just topical steroids.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 09:12:41 PM »

Localised oestrogen doesn't migrate! so is designed and used for vaginal dryness.  Cats: as I stated, as oestrogen levels drop ........ as above!!

The body doesn't get where it is suddenly so it stands to reason that it will take a while for the body to absorb new HRT so will take 3-4 months B4 a person notices benefit  ;)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 09:14:35 PM by CLKD »