Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Red rash and intense itching- link to oestrogen/ utrogestan???  (Read 7043 times)

MicheleMaBelle

Hi ladies- any advice you can give me here please?  >:(Only 10 days into new regime but feel I'm going to claw my skin off. Started last week with rash/ itchiness on top of feet and hands but that settled and I've now got it all down the side of my neck ,arms and legs to a lesser extent. It feels like ****ly heat. Even my face and inside my ears itch like mad and I've got scratch marks everywhere. Is this a common side effect and is there anything you can do about it?
I'm so fed up.
Thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Red rash and intense itching- link to oestrogen/ utrogestan???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »

I bet!  As oestrogen levels dropped off my insteps itched, as did across my back at 'bra level (I don't wear one) and around my waist.  I didn't have a rash fortunately.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »

Hi CLKD- I've been on HRT for more than 16 months now so not sure if it's because of my new routine or if I'm not getting enough oestrogen or have it as a side effect. I'm like Edward Scissorhands x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »

Do you have an anti-histamine ? 

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »

According to my Anaphylaxis Consultant, estrogen raises histamine levels so this is why I have had to be very cautious with not raising any HRT too high. I first developed anaphylaxis and urticaria in perimenopause when my estrogen levels were high in relation to lower progesterone.

I don't take any HRT currently and am post menopause  (surgical menopause) and my histamine issues have now resolved.

It might just be the HRT  type you are using, but I would certainly bear this in mind and see your GP as soon as you can as this shouldn't be happening.

Low estrogen (very low) can cause formication from dry skin primarily so it might be worth have your levels checked.

xxxxxxx
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:55:25 PM by Tempest »

Babsm67

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »

Hi Michelemabelle,
I had this problem after using Oestrogel last year -  I was ok for the first few days but then I started to get intense itching all over - it got to the point where it was unbearable, especially on my scalp (I also developed spots).  The meno gp that I see, told me that it was probably a reaction to the Oestrogel.   After stopping the Oestrogel, the itching subsided within a couple of days and I haven't had it since.  Since December, I have been using low dose patches and haven't had any problems with these.  My intolerances and allergies started up when I was in late reproductive stage/early peri in 2013.
Tempest, that's interesting about the raised histamine levels - I was unaware of this but it explains a lot!  Thanks for the info.
Xx

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »

Thanks ladies- I'm now so pissed off with HRT that I feel like chucking it. I'll e mail my consultant as GP isn't great x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »

It may be fillers/packaging rather than the active ingredient.

let us know how you get on?

Sinead

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »

Hi Tempest,

I am 4.5 years into perimenopause and my histamine levels are off the scale.  I can barely eat a thing without reacting - itching all over and especially hands and feet.  I am interested with regards to the way yours stopped after you were post menopausal.  Do you take HRT? 
Thanks