Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes, low mood etc at 65!!  (Read 975 times)

charliegirl

Hot flushes, low mood etc at 65!!
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »

Hi all, Charliegirl here, not been here for a while but have noticed the dreaded hot flushes and low mood have returned (or never gone away!) at 65. Does this mean that will carry on until I get treatment? I have has a hysto so would I be able to take estrogen only at my age? Thank you.
Love Charliegirl.x

Dancinggirl

Re: Hot flushes, low mood etc at 65!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »

Sadly, there are many women who find that some meno flushes etc never go away or only reduce a little.  I'm 61, very post meno and 18 months without HRT.  Tried 3 years without HRT in my early 50s and the flushes never subsided - actually I have no control over my thermostat generally which is horrid - really feel extremes of hot and cold rather badly.

I have found a high dose of Red Clover quite helpful and I have soya milk with my cereal in the morning.  Magnesium has reduced my palpitations. Work stresses have made me quite miserable as well so I know this isn't helping.

If you have had a hysterectomy, then you could have had oestrogen since it was done and could still be on it now - actually good for your bones and heart.  It might be worth asking if you can have a low dose of oestrogen - you may need to be referred to a gynae or meno clinic though.  Go for it - if you don't try you'll never know.  DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »

Hello charliegirl.

Unfortunately I can't help you but you raise a good question, are some of us destined to have some symptoms for ever unless we take added HRT?  I keep thinking that one day my body will have adjusted to the reduced amount of hormones and I'll finally be off this physical and emotional rollercoaster but at 61 and despite taking Tibolone ( admittedly a low dose HRT) I am still suffering. My trusty meno book includes the following list of what to expect and when:-

Hot flushes, night sweats and emotional symptoms from age 42 - 60

Sleep disturbances from age 45- 60

Emotional and intellectual symptoms from 45 - early 60s.

Depressing read isn't it!

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but you are not alone and if you decide to try oestrogen do please let us know how you get on.

Take care.

K.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »

As an HRT lifer, my advice would be to start oestrogen therapy immediately.   Because you have had a hysterectomy you can use oestrogen HRT only so you are a very straightforward case -  what bliss!

I find Oestrogel very effective and very dose flexible and would recommend it.   

There is no need to suffer any longer.   

charliegirl

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »

Wow! Thank you so much for your replies.I shall be hotfooting it to my gp in that case.xx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:07 PM »

Good luck charliegirl. Be prepared to be persuasive as many GP's are reluctant to prescribe HRT for women over sixty years of age and are especially loathe for women over sixty to use it for the first time. I have to fight to stay on it at the age of almost 64 and having been on it for ten years. As long as the risks are explained to you - and as Mary G says you can have oestrogen only HRT which does not carry the cancer risk of combined HRT - then your doc should prescribe it.

Let us know how you get on!

Taz x