Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New to Estrogel & Provera  (Read 2977 times)

Bellababe

New to Estrogel & Provera
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »

Hello Ive been peri for 2-3 years and started hrt 1 year ago. I start Estrogel and Provera next week after Femoston 2/10 wasn't really cutting it anymore. Anyone have any advice on where to apply Estrogel for the best efficiency? I have also read that some people apply dose in split sessions, so am and pm?? Any advice on Estrogel is welcome as I am feeling nervous about starting a new regime. Many thanks!

Lanzalover

Re: New to Estrogel & Provera
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »

Hi Bellababe

I don't think we have spoken before so  :welcomemm: .

I have only been using Estrogel for the last four months prior to that I had always been given Oestrodose at the chemist I regularly use but then out of the blue on the previous prescription I was given two containers of Oestrodose and one of Estrogel well the difference was amazing I had already made a GP appointment as I never really got on with Utrogestan either orally or vaginaly and was going to ask for Provera but mentioned that I had found Estrogel really good so my GP wrote on the prescription not Oestrodose I took the empty container to the chemist so I could show them what I wanted they only had one in stock and guess what when I called several days later I was given two containers of Oestrodose after a lot of bother I did eventually get the Estrogel the chemist kept insisting it was the same thing but it isn't there definitely a difference.

Now to the Provera I did try it on a conti basis for the first month but really didn't like it I think I must be very slightly progesterone intolerant so this month I decided to use it sequentially and this is the end of the first week and apart from a few wierd dreams the first couple of nights I feel great much better than I ever did using  Utrogestan I have however increased my Estrogel from 2 to 3 pumps per day while using the Provera.

I only ever apply the gel in the morning in one go 1 pump top of each arm and shoulder and the other pump 1 split between my thighs I have never split the dose  am/pm but I know some on here do.

Hope you feel the benefit of this combination as much as I have you have nothing to loose and possibly a lot to gain wishing you the very best of luck and do let us know how you get on.

Lanzalover x

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »

HI

I don't use progesterone but I am an oestrogel user.  Like Lanzalover I noticed I didn't do too well on oestrodose so be mindful, despite what some gps say, there IS a difference, oestrogel is the better quality and now when I put a repeat in I specifically say it must be oestrogel

I use 2.5 pumps each morning (I don't split either although some do so it's trial and error) and do alternate thighs nearer to knees x

Bellababe

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 04:35:47 PM »

Hi Lanzalover and Annie
Thank you for your kind welcome!
Thank you both for sharing your experience of Estrogel- I'm keen to try it, I suppose I've pinned my hopes on it a but as have heard good things about it. Hoping transdermal will also be kinder on my stomach as I suffer with digestive issues at times. I've been taking Femoston at night so I think I should carry on applying at night time - unless any good reason to change to morning? Lanzalover why did you use an additional pump when taking Progesterone?
 As said it's a bit trial and error but will apply as you both suggested and see how it goes. Will update after a couple of weeks. Thanks again! X

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »

I think most users choose morning for application because of transfer risk to partners etc.  I don't know how long you should leave it before contact but an hour springs to mind which isn't ideal at bedtime

It takes about 10 mins to dry and then I get dressed x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:52:51 PM »

Hi there Bellababe

Yes Annie0710 is right that 1 hour is the minimum time given (in the instructions I think) to avoid skin to skin contact after oestrogel has been applied due to transference issues (including pets).

Although the instructions for estrogel say apply to arms or legs all the other transdermal HRT types (all the patches and including Sandrena gel - the other type of gel) say apply to abdomen below the waist so personally I would do this rather than upper body ie as far from breasts as possible.

I sometimes think of going over to gel because of the supply problems with Estradot (patches) and probably would try if I were younger, but having been on these patches for 10 years and not suffered any flushes while on them, I am loathe to try something different at this point in my life ( mid 60's)!

Yes do let us know how you get on - hopefully all good :)

Hurdity x