Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Uterine scan results  (Read 1603 times)

Niamh

Uterine scan results
« on: November 20, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

Hi

Does anyone know what the acceptable mm measurement is for the uterine lining? I'm 43 and so peri and probably still 10 years off full meno (going by mum and sister) I had my scan done today about day 8 of cyclical hrt regime with a small bleed that finished last Thursday. I measured 5.7mm I think.

I see Nick Panay as I'm severely intolerant to progesterone but he's  ok'd a very low dose with monitoring. Lady seemed to think very acceptable as I'm on a bleed regime and pre meno.

I'll await to hear Nicks view just wondered if anyone had an advice as I feel a bit anxious.

Thanks
N

Mary G

Re: Uterine scan results
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »

Niamh, that reading sounds fine to me and nothing to worry about.   Everyone has a different post bleed baseline reading but I start at about 2mm and once I get to about 7mm I shed unprovoked which is a pest because it means I can't do long cycle HRT.  A former MM member who I am in touch with starts at 4-5mm and gets to a high measurement but her gynaecologist is fine with it.

Like you I am closely monitored but I would much rather that than be stuck on a life ruining (which it would be in my case) high dose of progesterone.

Hope that helps!

Niamh

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:39:38 PM »

Hi Mary

Nice to hear from you and thank you that's really reassuring :) I had less than 5mm being acceptable but the lady seemed to think Panay would deem it very acceptable. He's allowing me to use progesterone (cyclogest pessaries these days as hated utro) 3/4 days a month with 2 pumps of gel and 6 monthly scans. I've just switched to this regime and to seeing him from Studd as really I use hrt for pms and Panay I know is the pms man! He's really lovely and presented lots of other options to tackle the P intolerance nightmare. I've used such low P I was worried but looks like things are ok.

She found a small cyst on my ovary too but said likely hormonal but wants to scan in 3 months to check it. I have polycystic ovaries anyway and know I'm still ovulating.

Hope all good with you.

Panay has mentioned trying zoladex and using the new add back hrt Duavive as it contains no P. Do you know it?

N

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »

Hi Niamh

The uterine thickness limit is usually set for post-menopausal women as I understand - and I think 4.5 mm is the limit above which there can be concern. This would be for women on no HRT for whom endometrial thickening could be a particular problem. Also post-menopausal women on continuous combined HRT should aim to keep the lining below a critcial limit (although the tolerance maybe higher?). Abnormal bleeding is more of a concern than exact uterine thickness.

For women in your position (as well as those on cyclical HRT) - as you say, the lining will vary from very thin just after your bleed to quite a bit thicker just before progesterone withdrawal so provided it is all shed then nothing to worry about. The thing is - at least you are being monitored on this regime, (and by one of the top gynaes!) and that is what is most important. Even if your lining became a bit too thick (following your bleed) - you would be able to reduce it by a course of progestogen. Even if you had to take an increased dose occasionally for this purpose, at least you wouldn't be taking it all the time.

Duavive is good for prog intolerant women because it has no prog - but the only problem can be that the oestrogen is the equine horse oestrogens ( same as Premarin) and only comes in a fairly low dose (0.45 mg) - and you can't increase the dose without the other component ( which protects the uterus). However if you are with Nick Panay then he may also permit a more flexible regime under supervsion - but as this product is very new there are no long term data.

There have been other women on here using Zoladex so if you are interested then maybe start a new thread on this? I think donnacrichton is one so perhaps look at her posts?

I'm pleased that things seem OK for you at the moment anyway :)

Hurdity x

LoriPA

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:04:47 PM »

I am currently being treated for endometrial hyperplasia with 0.35 mg of Sharobel and will likely need a Mirena implanted in the future. My GYN informed me that anything over 4.0-4.5mm is usually cause for concern (mine measured in at a whopping 7.2mm), but I'm sure it varies with different women and whether or not they're on some type of HRT (I wasn't when diagnosed).

Niamh

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:43:53 PM »

Hi can I ask are you post meno? Then that would tally with Hurditys reply...considering my bleed only finished last Thursday I'm still a bit anxious it's on the thick side but I guess I wait for Panay to reply x