Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: B12 deficiency and hrt  (Read 5237 times)

Squashcat

B12 deficiency and hrt
« on: November 17, 2017, 12:37:44 PM »

Hi everyone

I have just had a very low B12 result (88) and am wondering if hrt is depleting my B12.

I have been taking elleste duet conti for 2 years.

Blood tests don't suggest pernicious anaemia.

I also have a high haemaglobin result.

If anyone knows anything about hrt and B12 I'd be grateful for thoughts/advice

Thanks  :)

Annie0710

Re: B12 deficiency and hrt
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »

I haven't heard any connection

Are you vegetarian or vegan ?
I think it becomes more common as we get older as our digestion slows down.  It could be numerous reasons, for example with low folate levels the b12 has nothing to help it get to cell level

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »

Hi Squashcat. Can I ask how you get on with Elleste Duet Conti? You say you have been on it for 2 years.....I've just started on it x

DebsMK

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »

Strangely I've just had blood test results from my GP which they took because my hair has been thinning.  Everything was normal except my B12 was low-ish (120) and my folate was too high!  I have been supplementing now with B12 tablets to try and boost my intake.  No idea if it is linked to HRT though but I have been on Femoston 1/10 for 3 years so I would also be interested to know if there is a link.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »

Hello Squashcat and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I don't know about the HRT connection but Annie is right about needing supplementation if you are vegan and don't eat any animal products.

Wishing you well.

K.

Yammy1

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:46:07 PM »

I was diagnosed last year with low B12 and I now get an injection every three months. I don't take hrt so not sure if it's just a meno thing or age related, I'm 53 and had hysterectomy five years ago.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »

I personally think the menopause effects the digestive system and absorption of food, so that's why it's particularly important to get the diet right. B12, vitamin d and omega oils are very important and even if you eat well it doesn't do any harm to supplement a bit.
I'm vegetarian but love my marmite -  I love my vegetable gravy with marmite.
DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »

Absorption must become a problem as we age.  Low b12 is quite common with people as they age.  Supplementing is ok as long as you know the reasons WHY it's low.  All other factors need addressing.. ferritin, magnesium, potassium and folate levels are all needed to be good in order for the b12 to reach cellular level, not just floating around in the blood giving high levels because of supplementation.  That's why so many patients are missing out on injections because they're supplementing and the results are giving false levels

To give a true b12 result there needs to be no supplementing for 4 months