Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: First timer - help and advice please - patches  (Read 1313 times)

hutchie

• First Flush
First timer - help and advice please - patches
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:53:25 PM »

Hi
I'm 52 and 2.5 years into the HRT journey and have tried a few alternatives. 
Firstly, I had 6 months on Premique 0.625/5mg and that was then discontinues just after I started to feel the benefits.
Then Prempak C 1.25mg/0.15mg for 1.5 years.  These worked well for me and I felt generally really well and lost 3 stone in weight and had the energy to go to the gym - something I hadn't done for years!!  This was then discontinued grrrrrr >:(
So then tried Femoston 1/10mg for 6 months, this was OK, but I lost my umphhh again and weight started to creep back on, along with anxiety (cant drive anymore) but no hot flashes or nights sweats, so carried on.

I went back to the doctors last month and had a blood pressure and weight check.  She advised me that my blood pressure was slightly high 160/80 and I had gained 2 stone and therefore my BMI was 30 and she said that she thought I should try patches instead as they were safer when you are overweight.  I started with Estraderm patches mx25 and Provera 2.5mg tablets. 

I am struggling with the patches - They only stay stuck on for 2-2.5 days instead of 3/4 days.  On the night when I have stuck them on that morning I only can sleep for about 3 hours and then I get severe anxiety and irrational thoughts.  I have also noticed really bad cravings (like PMT most days), headaches, itchy head and hair loss, mood swings (not depression) but happy one moment and crying and angry the next and joint aches. 

Please help..... is it normal to have to use patches instead of tablets when overweight?  Has anyone else experienced these problems with patches, and would you carry on and see if things improve (or my OH's patience wears out!!) or can you recommend some alternatives I can try please.  I have thought of just stopping and trying some natural remedies.

Any advice very gratefully received from a tired and grumpy lady x

I have begun

Dancinggirl

Re: First timer - help and advice please - patches
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »

Try Oestrogel with seperate progesterone as pills - either Provera or Utrogestan. Look under treatments, print the info off and show your doctor.
Another alternative is: have a Mirena fitted and use Oestrogel alongside. DG x

Tinkerbell

Re: First timer - help and advice please - patches
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »

I had terrible trouble with patches, they either did stay put or I reacted to the adhesive. I changed to Estrogel and get much better symptom control.
I have a Mirena for the progesterone component as I didn't get in with utrogestan.