Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Bleeding Twice a month on Utrogestan/Estradoil  (Read 2369 times)

Hollyhock

• First Flush
  • "Good things are to come."
Bleeding Twice a month on Utrogestan/Estradoil
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone has any advice?  I've been on Utrogestan 100 mg and Estradiol (two pumps/day) for about 6 months now, and it seems the new regular pattern for me is to bleed every 20 days or so. I'm finding this a bit fatiguing as the flow is heavier than what I was accustomed to before I started the menopause, and I used to be on a 26 day cycle.  Is this to be expected?  Or is there anything that I can do about it to draw out the time in-between bleeds?

Thoughts would be appreciated.  I feel like I'm always on my period! 

:D

Hurdity

Re: Bleeding Twice a month on Utrogestan/Estradoil
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »

Hi Hollyhock

Sorry your post got missed - often happens at the weekend - everyone's very busy!

Had you not missed any periods when you started HRT and also are you taking the utrogestan all the time? Bleeding can be unpredictable during peri-menopause and if you are also taking extra oestrogen and progesterone this can also upset your cycle. During the late reproductive stage (regular ovulation) on average the cycle tends to get shorter before lengthening. If the flow is heavier maybe more progesterone is needed?

It must be a right pain having periods all the time - I know what this is like as I had a short cycle for most of my reproductive life - when not pregnant etc!

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »

Hi Hollyhock - I'm afraid I had this type of erratic bleeding with Utrogestan. It may be worth either upping the amount of Utrogestan you use ( as Hurdity has mentioned) - so go up to 200mg for 10-12 days each month or try a different progesterone e.g. Provera.  Utrogestan doesn't suit everyone - it can bring more side effects(particularly at higher doses) but sadly it isn't as good at protecting the womb lining from building up as other progesterones, so erratic bleeding can happen.

IF you do want to reduce and even stop any bleeding, then having the Mirena fitted can be a low hassle alternative - look this up under TREATMENTS on this site.  DG x

Hollyhock

• First Flush
  • "Good things are to come."
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:35:57 AM »

Hello Hurdity and Dancinggirl

Thanks so much for your reply to my post.  Really appreciate it!  I realised I ought to have been a bit more specific about my doses:  I'm on 100 mg of Utrogestan/day, taken on days 1 - 25 of my cycle.  Also, to answer your question Hurdity, I had only missed one period before I started HRT.  Thought I was pregnant!  But no... (phew). 

It's interesting to me, because it seems many women are on Utrogestan for only 10 - 12 days each month.  Really don't know why my Doc prescribed the dosage and timing that she did.  I went back to express my concern about the extra bleeding, but the GP I spoke to didn't seem to think it was any cause for concern.  I will say that I feel fine otherwise - insomnia is now gone, my aches and pains in my joints are gone, and I sort of have my brain back.  It's just the extra periods that I'm lamenting.

Should I try a stronger dose of Utrogestan for 10 -12 days?  Not too sure what to do next...

Have a beautiful day!

Jane