Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: The coil and menopause  (Read 996 times)

Dawnie

The coil and menopause
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »

Hi

I have had a coil for about 7 years and I am now experiencing symptoms of the menopause. As I don't have periods I thought my Doctor would of offered a blood test to see where my hormone levels are at. HE has not.

Has anyone else had this problem. Had the coil removed to see where they are with their menstrual cycle?

Dancinggirl

Re: The coil and menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:37:41 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM

Do get your GP to do some blood tests - these are not always reliable but can be an indicator. Diagnosis of peri menopause should be done from symptoms really.  You don't need to have the Mirena removed to see if you are menopausal or not the FSH level is a better indicator and/or the emergence of menopause symptoms. 
If you are over 40, getting flushes or any other menopause symptoms ( see the list on this site) then you could have the Mirena changed (do get another fitted anyway) and add in some oestrogen as patch, gel or pills to control flushes etc. If you get on with the Mirena well, then it's ideal as part of HRT treatment, both in peri and post meno, you just have to have it changed every 4 years and add in oestrogen as needed alongside.  DG x

Hurdity

Re: The coil and menopause
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:36:03 PM »

Hi Dawnie

:welcomemm: from me too.

Dancinggirl has already given you good advice. As you have had the Mir+ena for 7 years and no bleeding then it sounds like you are probably well on your way towards menopause. Although the progestogen lasts longer than the 4 years recommended for HRT (it used to be 5 years for contraception but will still be producing progestogen for a while after this) - you would have expected some bleeding by now if you were not in peri-menopause, I would have thought.

How old are you and what symptoms are you experiencing? I would have said as Dancinggirl, if you are getting flushes and sweats and are over 40 then all you need to do is ask for another Mirena and some oestrogen, without the need for blood tests, and away you go! However I am sure your doc would carry out blood tests if you asked - in the circumstances - as the lack of bleeding could be a bit ambiguous in the 7 year time period? Sorry if this sounds a bit vague!

Hurdity x