Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 2843 times)

Snoooze

Re: Anxiety
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »

When I was younger I never ate breakfast and not much for lunch but when pregnant with my first child I found I needed to eat breakfast and although I don't eat a lot for breakfast (normally a banana);I do find eating badly or not often enough exacerbates the anxiety as does tiredness.

Very interesting about the Greek yoghurt. I've started eating it since late October and my anxiety is much less lately.

Wrensong

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 10:54:48 AM »

Kathleen, thank you for the info on vegan diets - that sounds interesting.  I agree - anything we can learn to help us avoid developing chronic illnesses on top of coping with menopause can only be a very good thing.

Luckily, I'm not diabetic & am not qualified to give advice to anyone who is, so my comments were based on personal experience backed up by blood sugar tests (low) & lots of truly desperate reading about menopause!   I was really just aiming to highlight that even in non-diabetics, blood sugar seems to become trickier to control during perimenopause & for me at least, frustratingly ever after.  I didn't think anyone who'd contributed to the thread at the point I joined in was diabetic & just wanted to add to what CLKD had helpfully pointed out. 

The point I made about finding at peri that purely veggie meals no longer suited me, was that these had not contained enough protein for me personally.  Of course it is possible to get enough protein in a vegetarian diet, but I was eating things like pasta/jacket spud with ratatouille & a little grated cheese on top, but because I was also trying to limit saturated fat, the portion of cheese was simply not big enough to provide as much protein as I needed to keep blood sugar more stable - even with the fibre from the spud skin or using wholemeal pasta.  My body had seemed to be able to cope with these smaller amounts of protein prior to peri, but not from then onwards & it took me a while to work out what was going on! 

CLKD - aah eggs - yes I know just what you mean!  I couldn't abide them as a kid & was well into adulthood before I could begin to get egg white down & even now it has to be properly set.  Avocado is another of those love em or hate em foods isn't it?  I do like them, but the texture can be an acquired taste - OH hates the things, but will eat them if disguised as guacamole!

Snooze - that's great you've discovered that the Greek yoghurts seem to have helped you.  For anyone new to them - they do vary in the amount of protein they contain & sat fat can be quite high in some, so you need to check the labels.  I buy the Total 2% fat, though have to shop around to get that as the 0% & high fat versions seem to be more common.  The 2% seems a good compromise between flavour, not too sour - & the decadence of full fat!  I'm a bit of a yoghurt nut though - like to mix 2 kinds together - the Total 2% + Onken full fat - which is not shockingly high fat like some, then whisk with milk to give a pouring consistency.  If you get it right you lose any sourness, so for anyone put off by that, it's a treat, tasting more like cream!  Win win too, as it's then thin enough to pour over cereal & fresh fruit & gives more protein than milk alone, especially if you add nuts!  Gosh - who got me started on food?! ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:50:42 PM by Wrensong »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »

LIVE yoghurt is important.  Doesn't do any harm at all.

Try eating every 3 hours, it eases anxiety surges.  I've done it since NAPS gave me the advice in the mid-1990s.  Also eat slow release foods i.e. porridge, bananas, dried fruits and nuts.  I'm a great one for chocolate eclairs  ;) but don't miss them after 3 weeks of cutting them and similar from my diet!

Did this woman eat Benocol products Kathleen?   My friend hasn't gone vegan at all, her blood sugar levels alter dependant on how hot it is.
Pages: 1 [2]